Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fab Forum, continuation from the boatside thread :)

Discussion in 'Feedback | Site Announcements' started by Kyle89K5, Sep 25, 2003.

1. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

This is a continuation of the fab forum discussion...

[ QUOTE ]
    Shouldn't cost any more for bandwidth, it would mostly just move fab posts from here to the new fab forum. But if it were really popular, which I doubt, it could increase traffic a little...

[/ QUOTE ]

You never know. I good quality source for fab info and ideas, IMO is worth it's weight in gold. As long as it doesn't get watered down with *fabbing* up crap. We're talking link susp, cages, bumpers, nerfs, body off mods etc. Even sharing ideas on different ideas on fixturing and tooling. I've got a homemade bender in progress now that would be invaluable in a forum like that.

The places I used to go for that information is getting thin, setting up a dedicated, and, like you said, stricktly moderated, area would be great. It could/would step the site up more. Good fab information is hard to find...

2. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I would love to see a forum dedicated to fabrication, tools (fab related), etc.

While I'm at it, we also talked at one time about a "hard core" forum as well.

Both would be great...

3. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

hardcore? you mean non4x4, right? LOL /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

4. denver75k5

denver75k5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

Both would be great...

[/ QUOTE ]

I second that..... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. Confedneck

hey id like to see it happen....would be an interesting forum to read..

6. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Unfortunately its been talked about before and its not going to happen.

7. denver75k5

Wouldent say that, I talked to Steve today, let's just say don't count it out yet...

8. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. BadDog

Stay on him about it! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif We need a place for the truggy and extreme crowd to hang out... Especially since the Garage is now the only bluebie accessible forum, which means it gets all the "can I run 35s with 4" lift" questions...

Seems like I recall one of the problems with a "fab forum" was that sponsor/advertisers might be miffed. But that wouldn't be a problem with a "hard core" forum. Hey, we could call it "XXX wheeling". /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Needs a strong moderator though to keep the faith…

10. Confedneck

ya know...i think echobit would be a good sponsor for the fab forum...just a thought.. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. fourwheelerjeff

fourwheelerjeff 1/2 ton status Staff Member Moderator

12. BadDog

That's a totally different "fabricator forum" thought. That one was talking about selling stuff that individual guys make on the side. Like 85Mouse and his clevis mounts.

We're talking about a forum where members talk about, get advice on, and show off things they build from scratch as opposed to the bolt on crowd that thinks cutting fenders is extreme.

13. fourwheelerjeff

[ QUOTE ]

Both would be great...

[/ QUOTE ]

i was under the impression that both meant more than one /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

and the deal with you or someone else showing off what they have built is that inevitably someone will say, "how much to make me one" and then it will turn into a pseudo-fabricator forum to sell wares

and on the hard core subject, who decides what/who is hard core, is rob or marv any less hard core than you because they are still running 1/2 ton stuff /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

my point is that i think the forums are a good idea, even if i am playing devil's advocate /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

14. Confedneck

so you establish a list of rules..if someone makes something, and someone else wants it, you PM them for information on how to get one or some..

15. BadDog

Confedneck is right, you just establish rules to draw the line. Those who step over the line are warned, or banned if necessary. No different than the other forums...

As far as what is "hard-core", again, the rules give some guidelines. Just like PBB has the newbie forum and Gen4x4. On Marv and Rob, if anything, I would say their wheeling is more hard core than mine if anything. Frankly, I would be scared to do what they do on 1/2 ton gear! Hard core can be running D30/35 in a Jeep for that matter. It’s about the attitude and goals. Someone making a post wanting to keep a full bodied rig for daily driver and interested in whether 35s will fit with his add-a-leafs and blocks is clearly not “hard-core”. Same for “my truck won’t start” and “my lights won’t work”. Someone making a post about working out a link/coil suspension or clearly is. And, in my mind, it would be *absolutely* wheeling performance related. No maintenance type stuff. You just have to have a strong moderator who can make the call when it’s in the gray area.

I also think a members only “hard-core” area might entice others to join just so they can see what goes on in there…

Then again, maybe I’ve had too much beer, too much heat, or too many paint fumes today (or all the above!)

16. fourwheelerjeff

[ QUOTE ]
    Then again, maybe I’ve had too much beer, too much heat, or too many paint fumes today (or all the above!)

[/ QUOTE ]

getting ready for moab huh /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

hopefully i will see you there /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

17. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

I think Baddog has hit it nail square. Virtually every day someone shows off something they built and chances are someone will how much to make them one. Make it plain and clear that if you start selling your stuff in the forum you are gone. I know that before I started making MY own stuff, I contacted several people about building me something or other.

As for hard-core, I think that anything that TRUELY breaks the norm would be kosher. Marv on 1/2 ton gear is breaking the norm, no question /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Personally, I would pay an extra $25 a year to have additional access to just the fab forum. Total bill $50 per year. Lot's of folks could care less about it, they just want to crun there 18 light light bars and roll on 33 A/T's to the mall, I'm more in line with getting with a select group of people to discuss future tool purchases and anti-squat in a link style suspension. Sure the other forums have their place, just like this one would. I think that a fab forum makes a lot more sense than a communication forum, and we've got one of those /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

18. Confedneck

[ QUOTE ]
    Confedneck is right, you just establish rules to draw the line. Those who step over the line are warned, or banned if necessary. No different than the other forums...

[/ QUOTE ]
    of course im right...im always right...ok anyways

19. denver75k5

Ill bug Steve about it again after MOAB... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

20. denver75k5

I agree with that tottaly,,,

Houbout this as the "moderator" first post:

- This forum is to SHARE ideas not to Sell ideas unless you are a paid vendor of CK5, you are invited to share your fabrication ............ Awww heck guys, finish this for me It's late (for me) and I need some input....