Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fabbed another piece you can't buy.

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by RustyParts, Nov 27, 2005.

1. RustyParts

RustyParts 1/2 ton status

Fabricated the piece that mounts between the rocker box end cap and the front bedside post today.

DCP_3337.jpg

DCP_3340.jpg

DCP_3345.jpg

DCP_3348.jpg

DCP_3341.jpg

2. HELLBENT DESIGNS

HELLBENT DESIGNS 1/2 ton status

3. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

How do you fab up a piece when the one you're trying to duplicate is almost non-existent? :rotfl:
    Nice work. :waytogo:

4. RustyParts

Thanks for compliment, make a cardboard template of the piece that is still in existent to get a good outline and then mount the old piece back in place on the truck.

Then take the last piece of cardboard and put it in place on the vehicle where the rotted place was and take a pair of scissors and trim until you get a good fit and then put the two pieces of cardboard together until they look about right tape together and you have a pattern.

It won't be perfect but it will be pretty darn close.

5. zang101

zang101 Registered Member

Wow..nice job.

Nice!!! I have to make a pair of these and I was wondering how you did your bends...especially the structural ones in the middle of the piece. Is the second photo a metal pattern to bend off of? I am new to metal work and have been concerned with how I am going to do this for quite some time now. Also, just out of curiosity, what do you use to cut your metal peices out with? I have been using a cutoff wheel but I know there has to be a better way.

6. RustyParts

A small handheld cutoff tool with a 1/32" thick blade is my tool of choice.

The piece of metal is the piece that was cut out from the cardboard pattern (the busch lite cardboard) I made from the old piece.

The bends were made in a 6" vise, I laid the old rusty piece over the new metal and scribed a line where the bend would be and then clamped it in a vise along the line and bent it until the angles were the same.

Kinda hard to explain, maybe I can do some step by step pictures on the one for the other side.

Couple of pics with piece installed.

DCP_3349.jpg

DCP_3351.jpg

7. botboy

botboy 1/2 ton status

Great, now if you could just fab up a windshield frame, I know tons of guys that would be happy to put money in your pocket! :D