Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

fabco axle

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by blasterD, May 28, 2004.

1. blasterD

blasterD 1/2 ton status

[​IMG]
    I was junkyard scrounging today and I found a 1980 International 1854 4x4 dump truck (24000gvwr). The front axle is a Fabco model sda12. here are the specs I've been able to dig up:
    ratio: 6.17
    ring diameter: 13.4"
    axles: 1.75" 34 spline
    width: 91"
    GAWR: 12000
    axle weight: 1400 lbs
    u-joint: 1550 (1 3/8" x 5")

It has a huge u-joint going into it that measures 5" wide with 1 3/8" caps. It also has some large steering joints (open knuckle). It has a large 6-lug pattern. How would this axle compare to a rockwell deuce axle? It is not a toploader so I wouldn't have to use as much lift. Does anybody know anything about these axles? It will be pretty cheap. It looked like I could fab up some disk brakes pretty easily. That would probably shave 200 lbs (16" drums).
    Here is the fabco site where I got the specs:
    http://www.fabcoautomotive.com/products/body_sda1200.htm

2. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

What's the condition of the whole rig?
    Ditch the box and put on a flatbed, swap out the cab and front clip for a Chevy one. Drop in a BBC/465/205 and roll it out the door on 49's
    That would prolly be the easiest way to swap those axles into a Chevy.

3. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

I think you could throw some HP at that thing and it would just smile at you. Probably a 1710 ujoint. Used on a lot of those bigger trucks.

4. blasterD

blasterD 1/2 ton status

The rest of the truck is in pretty bad shape. The rear axle is a huge rockwell. I couldn't read the tag, but the pumpkin is about 26". I think I would use the front fabco and maybe a dana s135 from a furd f550 in the rear. The s135 has 1.84" 36 spline axles and a 14.24" ring gear. The international had a divorced transfer case that looked just a little bigger than a 205. I couldn't find any ID tags on it, but it had 1550 joints front and rear and a 1480 joint for the input (I think). It has a dual stick shifter. Does anybody know what transfer case this might be? I'm going to try and get some pics today.

5. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

that truck might be an aftermarket conversion of a factory 2wd truck. so the transfer case might also be a fabco, but it might be a large rockwell. t223 perhaps. i wanna see pics! also, do you have any pics of the dana s135 axle?

6. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

Dry weight of 1435 pounds!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

Try pickin that one up by yourself.

Good luck to y'all in the future. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Allan

7. duece21

duece21 1/2 ton status

5" across should be a 1550 ujoint, Also I would not want to use that thing, b/c getting parts for it would be a PITA. Rockwell's are the standards in most big-rigs now, but a few Eaton's runnin here and there. Also looks like it still has the brake-chambers on? You gonna switch it all to Hydro? If so do a write-up I'd like to see it.

8. blasterD

blasterD 1/2 ton status

As far as brakes go, I would probably do a custom setup. The 16" drums are HUGE! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif. I think I would probably try to machine the hub for 8 on 220mm lugs to match the rear axle and then use f450/f550 brake parts. The more I look at it, I think the transfer case is probably a fabco TC-38.
    http://www.fabcoautomotive.com/products/body_tc38.htm
    If so, it is rated for 6000ft/lbs input /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif plus it already has the 1550 u-joint outputs, dual stick shifter and a so-so 2.22:1 low ratio. I don't think it is a conversion because the factory door tag identifies it as an International S1834 4x4, also I've seen a few running around town with the same axles. A lot of medium duty trucks up here have 4x4 because of the road conditions (Alaska).

9. duece21

duece21 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I have to lug those stupid drums all day at work. Broke a handcart trying to stack them 4 hi. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif That's 2 speed, you can get some crzy gear ratios with the double reduction and 2 speed axles. Maybe you could find an axle that is single reduction w/ a differential lock and you could prob find one pretty easy. I would still love to see if you were able to switch it to hydro. I saw a rig here about a month ago where rockwell was testing disc brakes on the front and year axles. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif The whole setup had to be purchased specifically from rockwell and you could not just get calipers or anything separate. The entire thing including hub had to be purchased. Talking bout big $$$$$.

10. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I don't think it is a conversion because the factory door tag identifies it as an International S1834 4x4, also I've seen a few running around town with the same axles. A lot of medium duty trucks up here have 4x4 because of the road conditions (Alaska).

[/ QUOTE ]

I was only asking because a number of companies offered aftermarket 4x4 conveersions for medium duty trucks, they only cost a little more than factory 4x4 jobs, but they offered higher GVW and also sat higher. Still, cool stuff!

11. blasterD

blasterD 1/2 ton status

I pulled the transfer case out of the dump truck today. It is a rockwell T223 H. It is divorced with a 1410 joint input, 1550 output on the front and dual rear outputs. One of the rear outputs is a 1550 joint, the other is a drum brake (I think it's a parking brake /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif) It is not as heavy as I thought it would be. I don't think it weighs much more than a 203 (I lifted it into the back of my truck by myself) I would guess maybe 200 lbs. The tag says 2:1 low range. It is set up with a dual stick shifter. I assume one is for hi-lo, the other is for 2x4-4x4.