Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fabrication of an interior tire carrier

Discussion in 'Center Of Gravity' started by Bullet, Feb 24, 2004.

1. Bullet

Bullet 1/2 ton status

After my latest trip, I realized that I need a fullsize spare. I have been pondering the idea of having an interior tire carrier, having the tire mounted at a 45* angle like a baja racer.
    Like this:
    [​IMG]
    I would consider this, but it is way to over priced and I doubt it will fit a 37-38" tire. Would it be easier to have something fabbed up that mimics this?

OR, would be easier, more functional to do this:
    [​IMG]

IIRC, Steve had the boys at Rockstomper weld a bar across on his Smittybilt roll bar (which I have also) It seems to me that this might be the easier way to go, because I'll have a little more space to the rear in case I need to haul something, or if i need to sleep back there while camping. All I'll need to do is take out the tire and not the whole carrier.

One last question, with this carrier, regardless of which, with a 37-38" tire mounted around a 45* angle will I be able to run the back seat properlly?

2. K1Orion

K1Orion 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't buy that thing, I saw one on Trucks! in that bronco last weekend. Stacy hit a mud hole and when he popped out the mounts broke and the whole tire/carrier bounced out of the back. Probably not worth the money.

IMHO build a swingout carrier or 1 like DP90K5 builds. They will work better. An inside carrier takes up too much space, eliminates visibility out the rear window and would affect your rear seat if you put it where you described.

3. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

I built one once, it's not too hard

Find a place you can fit the tire, make a backing plate, and snug the bastard down with the giant wingnut from hell

4. Bullet

Bullet 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I saw that episode. I am not interested in that carrier, too high priced and too poserish. Though I would use it just as an example.

I though about fabbing one for the outside, still haven't made up my mind. I run a 4x4 Iron rear bumper, exactly like Sandman's old one, but my Dad and I cut the frame three inches so that the bumper can sit almost flush with the body. So adding an external hinges for a tire carrier may not work.

The way I see it, whether the tire is mounted inside or outside, you rear visibility is going to suck do to the size of the tire.

5. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

I was gonna mount mine like that but it would block all access to any sort of inside storage. My 38.5 lays flat between the widend wheel wells and my rack is going on top of it, tool box on each side.

6. ZZ4x4

ZZ4x4 1/2 ton status

Here is the one I fabbed up. Can be made for any size tire of course, and you can use real lug nuts to hold it on plus a locking lug nut for security.
    [​IMG]
    With tire on.
    [​IMG]

7. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

That is awesome!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

Kris

8. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

[highjack] What kind of bedliner is that?[/highjack]

9. ZZ4x4

ZZ4x4 1/2 ton status

The bedliner is the Duplicolor spray in stuff. It's not such a great product. But that's probably another thread... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif
    Jeff /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

10. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Ok, another question /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif:
    Why did you use a "C" mount instead of just flat steel plate?
    ___
    | | instead of this ______

Is it because of the ridges in the bed?

11. ZZ4x4

ZZ4x4 1/2 ton status

Exactly right. I used the C channel due to the ridges in the bed. I could have used flat steel with some 1/4 inch strips underneath in the valleys like the rollcage feet, but I had extra c-channel laying around so used it. The bolts go through the bed support cross braces underneath for strength.
    Jeff /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

12. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

For my puny 35" spare, I was thinking of fabbing an internal carrier that puts the tire on end (90 degrees) right behind the driver's seat, as close to it as possible. The idea is to maximize usable cargo space in back. It would not work with the rear seat, but that's okay.

I had a bumper with a swingout carrier, but it's totally impractical for daily use. It's a huge hassle to open the gates up, then lower the tailgate every time I want to let the dog in and out, or load some junk in. The hinges were always getting tight too, and the gate was always filthy. No biggie for a trail rig, but if you want to take the old lady someplace and not get covered in grease... /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif