Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

fabricator turning truck into offroad only

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by chevyguybc, Sep 17, 2006.

1. chevyguybc

chevyguybc 1/2 ton status

well hello ck5 world, i wish i was a member but i have no way of putting cash into my paypal.. i could send someone cash if they would pay for me, or can i send it to ck5?

:D

anyways my 77 jimmy is getting a full makeover. i now work at a multi million doller shop, we build the cadillac of flameproof full metal generator, operator cabs for mills etc.. surround technologies if your interested:)i have 8 lincoln 255s , 1 300, a couple fluxcore welders, tigs, every tool you can imagine, shop is massive.. football field or bigger:D:D

im now a 21 year old fabricator/ shop helper, usually weld all day or do other jobs..

in case ya members dont know, ive owned 33 vehicles since 15, first car was a 80 malibu 2 door mint grandpa car for 500, that got me started.. rebuilt motors, restored cars since, had a 370hp malibu that ran 13s.. yada yada

NOW READ THIS ABOUT THE FAB!
    i plan to dovenose and tail EXTREME, full rear tube frame for cooler and rear seat for passengers, 4 link rear all custom rear frame behind front seats...:D

id like wheelbase around 111...:confused:

i have the 4 link down, i need some dovetail/nose links PLEASE:bow::bow:

also need to know about evo joints, good? bad? ugly? warrentee..?

that is all for now, more as it comes

\

2. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

You have a great job, work in a "mulit-million dollar business" and you can't put money into Pay Pal?
    Sorry, something sounds fishy here.

3. TeK

TeK 1/2 ton status

EVO joints are about the best there is. I would shoot for more like 120" wheelbase. But everything that we can possibly help you with is gona have to come from what size tire you plan on running.

4. chevyguybc

planning on 39.5 iroks, 15 inch rim. dana 60 front, full upgrades, crossover, hydrulic steering( not assist)

also beadlocks, and exo cage once the dove stuff is done.. i have cad drawings laid out, and some notes on the build,

im 21 and dont have a credit card, hence why no paypapl.. i have the cash, where do i send it

5. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

6. NEK5

NEK5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

got a checking account? that will work as well

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

US funds Money order and the mail works just fine...

Rene

8. chevyguybc

wow it seems all you guys want me to donate, but no comments onw elcoming me aboard or anything like that.. i was hoping to be at blazer bash 07 in moab, but no one cars about helping me out, just money money money,

now im considering

9. 81K5GUY

81K5GUY 1/2 ton status

you can use your debit card from your checking account for paypal.

10. 81K5GUY

81K5GUY 1/2 ton status

easier to help you if you can post pics and you must be a member to do so .Oh yeah welcome to ck5.com, take pics of your rig now cause it will never be the same lol.We get nothing from the membership dues ,we are just trying to help ya .

11. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

yous type funey......:wink1:

33 vehicles in 6 years..............Wow!
    Any pics?

12. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

umm youve been a member since 03 so unless you can lend me a time machine i dont think icould welcome you..;)

ANyways cheack out the center of gravity there are some threads in there of taper jobs

13. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Welcome, as far as the taper goes just use your judgement. I'm just going to fly by the seat of my pants when I do mine.

14. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Bad idea.

As for the original poster, have fun, I guarantee you're going to get in over your head at some point, remember to take whatever you planned on spending and double it.

15. tRustyK5

Then double it again...:doah:

As for the welcome, you've been here quite a while. As for input how about trying some specific questions rather than 'help me build my truck'......

Your initial post brought up the subject of buying a membership here, so a few guys mentioned different ways to get that done. So, IMHO, the 'money money money' comment is out in left field somewhere.

Post up pic's of what you're starting with, what you're next (or first) project is going to be and go from there. No sense getting all butt-hurt in you're own thread.

Rene

Last edited: Sep 18, 2006
  16. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

For the taper I dont see what soo wrong on taking some off if you dont like it take more off etc... for the rest like cage etc yah you have to plan...

17. chevyguybc

i specifically asked about dove tail ak taper. not a single post back

:confused:

also i asked about wheelbase, stated i want to run 39.5 tires, dana 60 front..

etc any tips on wheelbase, 120 is out of question, all the trails around here are VERY tight:D

18. tRustyK5

I run 110" right now with no plans of stretching it anymore than that. You planning on towing this to the trails around here? If you dovetail/taper it'll just be a massive heat score if you try to drive it. Even the FSR's around here are considered public roads (AKA insurance needed)

Yeah, the trails are tight around here and even given that i wouldn't purposely make my rig glaringly unstreetable. Not having to buy a tow rig, insure it, maintain it plus the cost of the trailer and the room to store it all make it very not worth it to me. Then, you get you're trail rig to the trail, and park the tow rig and trailer to go wheelin...and come back to either a burned tow rig or missing altogether. No thanks...

D60 and 39.5's...and the question was? :D That's what I run (TSL's though)

Rene

19. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Alright, now that you've got some actual questions, I ran 39.5's on what equated to 6" of lift and a 109.5" wheelbase. Climbed great, flexed well, but was still too long for tight trails. I'm going to 115" or so and lowering it 6" but that's another story.

Dovetailing does require a bit of thought. Cut wheel tubs out, then cut triangles, then cut a relief in the bedside so it has somewhere to flex. If you don't it'll twist the pillars and your doors won't stay closed. You have to brace the bedsides pretty heavily after you're done. Here's a pic of mine sitting on level ground:

[​IMG]

And here it is twisted up:

[​IMG]

20. chevyguybc

love your truck and id love to learn some of your dovetail.. and how you liked the boggers, im considering them..

i think 110 would be ideal, that would mean rear back around 2 or 3.. i have already moved the front witht he lifted 52s and custom crossmember

ive already picked up an alum. fuel cell, going to sit in the back, it will be bobbed heavily and with the rear moved back and 39.5s i belive it will work out well..

be prepared for custom tube front engine crossmembers.. good bye frame flex eventually once frame is beefed

thanks to all for the information of how to sign up for ck5.. cash is on the way to them in the next few days!:bow: CANT WAIT TO SEE THE PICTURES AND ADD SOME AS WELL