Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Facial rash and peeling - but no hair

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by newyorkin, Apr 4, 2003.

1. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

No, this one's not in the tradition of eyebrow-hair, nose-hair, butt-hair, etc...

My upper cheeks have been red and slightly swollen for the last week. The skin has been extremely dry, and I actually ran my gillette mach3 down my cheek and took off a ton of dead skin (too much info?) this morning.
    Last saturday I tore out a plaster ceiling, and there was blown-in insulation behind it, and this weird gold flaky stuff (I'm guessing some kind of 1920's insulation). I was wearing a respirator and goggles, and had some beard going, but got a couple facefuls of this crap on my cheeks where I now have this rash.
    Here's the odd thing; it's been almost 7 days since then, and the rash was not there sunday, monday, appeared tuesday, got bad wednesday, worse thursday (and 3 times as bad when I scrubbed my face with a pore cleanser), and it's ok today (wife put hydro cortisone on) but still kinda bad.
    Oh, and there was a LOT of plaster demolition dust in the air. I was blowing air out of the room as I worked, but there was still a lot of dust (clogged the respirator at one point).
    I'm guessing from info on the web that it's an allergic reaction to black mold in the blown in insulation. But why would it progress with time?? Wouldn't it get better as exposure wore off?
    Anyone ever deal with anything similar to this? How do you treat it??

Tomorrow I go back into this room to finish, and will probably get a lot of this dust on my skin again when I walk in the room. I might have to buy a chemical weapons suit just to go in my friggin attic...

2. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

Probably just an alergic reaction to the insulation. My dad and I put insulation in our old attic and two days later I had a rash all over my arms and legs. You better hope it isn't black mold, that stuff will take over a house!

3. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Use some picric acid...it'll clear that crap right up! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif