Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Facing the music: First things first

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BowtieRed, Jul 4, 2003.

1. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

Well I think I've come to grips with myself finally, and I'll have to set aside my build big block or rodded small block aspiration for awhile atleast. I considered selling my truck and I came the conclusion that i definitely don;y want to, but when thinking, I realized I couldn't get crap for my truck as is- terrible transmission, mismatch gears, poorly installed rear gears [raises hand], slipping? rear gears? or transmission, some sort of slight knock around 2200rpm? out of tune carb. . . MICKEY THOMPSONS!

anyway, I'm setting aside my next $1200-1500 to: have amy transmission professionally rebuilt, install and fine tune a new edelbrock carb (or rebuild Q-jet), and have 4.88 thick gears and a detroit locker (depending if i can find a cheap used one) installed all done professionally. I'm biting the bullet and eating my pride and admitting- I can't do all this myself. I am NOT a porfessional mechanic - YET. I'm just a 16 year old kid who know a decent about about engines and trucks, but i need some things done by trained professionals. And I do. I can't say how soon I will have this done, but I'll definitely keep ya'll updated. If this new job works out I could have $1500 or so in 4-5 weeks. Until then, I'll probably be here a lot trying to figure out what to do next, after that mess. Anyway, if you are wondering, yes there is a point to the post- can you think of anything else I should have done or looked at while it's in the shop? I know $1500 probably isn't enough money for all that, I was just giving a rough estimate. Do you think it would be ok to ask this guy to let me take the transmission while he's working on the diff and media blast and paint it (cast is developing some corrosion, and I'd trying to get my truck to look kind of nice underneath (it makes washing it more pleasurable)
    You guys are a great help, and as always
    thanks,
    red

2. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Just regearing will probably eat up your 1500....

Check around, some places charge less to do gears with the axle removed, then you could work over that frame.

Check around again, and I'll bet that you can find a private individual that can regear your diffs for much less. Maybe the same guy in the shop does that at home for more money to himself.

Keep your eyes and ears open, there are good deals all around you. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

the 'shop' i'm going to is an individual, and since i just about rebuilt my axle already, i don't need a bearing kit. he'll do the install for $150 (i've seen his work, it's quality) gears are $200- from genuine gear.

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Don't feel bad about not knowing it all or any of that sort of stuff. The longer I pull wrenches on my truck (and other vehicles) the more I realize that I don't know. I set aside my pride a long time ago and have learned to admit when something is beyond my abilities (or tool collection)

Now is the time to develop a plan and follow it as best as you can. If the tranny is pooched remove it yourself and bring it to have it rebuilt, then re-install it. Doing the heavy work yourself saves you money and allows you to feel that you contributed to the repair. A TH350 isn't that expensive to have built...I'd guesstimate you could have it done for $500 or less if you shop around.

It sounds like you have the gearing issue planned...

Take your time and keep on learning and asking questions. Nobody knows it all...even though some of us would like to think we do./forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

By the way, good call on keeping it instead of bailing on it./forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Rene

5. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Nobody knows it all...even though some of us would like to think we do./forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif
    Rene

[/ QUOTE ]

hey i know everything... about nothing...

6. TheGeneral

TheGeneral 1/2 ton status

Henry,
    As a older guy, not old mind you, just a year or two older than you, I would tell you to try again. Persistence and patience. I agree that some things are out of our leaque, but I would tell you it is almost always tool related more than skills, and if it is skills, the way to get them is hang out with guy/gals who have the skills you want. Gears are a b*^&( to get right and if you don't have some of the basic tools for this, you won't get it. But I encourage your efforts and ask the guy who does gears if you can hang out and watch him (insurance issues will arise in most established garages, but if you get to know the guy where he can trust you, then you can probably watch or something). Just don't give up, as most guys and gals on this board are not ASE certified mechs, just talented "tried and trued by error" mechs (lots of errors). Good luck man and enjoy.

7. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Thhat's exactly what I was talking about....Your gearman probably knows a trans man aand so on....

Before you know it, that driveline will be up to snuff, and the grins can begin again /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

I do not think there is a man here who hasnt gone beyond their skillz and knowledge with these toys.
    school of hard knocks and you are way ahead of most of us just by being here

9. REDMANIAC

REDMANIAC Registered Member

Let me tell you this, "your young, you have alot of time on your hands, get yourself a job, then get yourself another job to go to after the first one, in no time youll have enough funds to have whatever you want built. I only I could do it all over again, thats what Id do". TRUST ME!!!