Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fact or fiction

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Z3PR, Jul 2, 2002.

1. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Is the 400 cid sbc a hard to find item ???? I called my local speed shop in quest of a stroker kit for my little ol'400 small block and they claim nobody makes them becouse the 400 cid sbc is so rare. All I want to do is stroke it for MORE LOW END TORQUE. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> False, the 400 is not a very uncommon motor. Not nearly as common as a 350 or a 305, but still pretty easy to find. Are you stroking this up or down? I've heard of destroking a 400, it's supposed to be a pretty hot setup.</font color>

3. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Find you a new speed shop...

4. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Not too hard to find, no. Your speed shop is misinformed. Companies like http://www.speedomotive.com and various others make stroker kits. I'm running one in my 400 stroked to a 415. Great kit, no overheating, lots of torque and relatively inexpesnive in its base form.

5. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

400 are getting rare, but can still be found. klein racing makes a 427 stroker kit, they made a 430 something but was pushing it to much. I have heard of a 454 kit, but think that was for bowtie blocks only. the 4 bolt blocks are harder to find, but to much disbelief, are worth LESS!! the 2 bolt block pre 74 is the most desirable block. on the 4 bolt blocks, the outer main cap bolts go through the bottom lip of cylinders making them weaker! who's brainstorm was that!! just my 2 cents!

6. luk3

luk3 1/2 ton status

theres a k5 with a 400 down the road from my house for sale.

7. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

Your speed shop doesnt have a bunch of asian stickers on it does it? Or a few slammed imports in the parking lot? Hit up summit or jegs. Or try sdpc2000.com ..... most likely you have to call them and talk to the parts guys themselves.