Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

FACTOID: Regular 14BFF vs. Van-Width 14BFF

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Greg72, Oct 14, 2003.

1. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

I can't remember who it was recently that told me that the difference between the widths of the standard 14BFF and the van-width versions was in the hub area....?? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif I had always assumed that the axle tubes themselves were longer and the hubs were identical from one version to the other.

Well, tonight I set out to discover the TRUTH.....I haven't had a chance to measure EVERY single dimension yet but I can give you a few pieces of hard data now that I have one of each to compare dimensions with:

Length of axletube on SHORT side (measured from edge of pumpkin casting to outer edge of the square backing plate flange):

Standard 14BFF = 15.500"
    Van-Width 14BFF = 17.000"
    Difference: 1.500"

Length of axletube on LONG side (measured from edge of pumpkin casting to outer edge of the square backing plate flange):

Standard 14BFF = 19.750"
    Van-Width 14BFF = 21.375"
    Difference: 1.625"

Total difference: 3.125" (At least on mine!) /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

So there you go...at least for now I'm satisfied that the axletubes are IN FACT longer on the van-width axle, which is good news when you are desinging multi-link suspensions....any extra inches you can find for bracketry or shock mounting is a GOOD thing! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    I can't remember who it was recently that told me that the difference between the widths of the standard 14BFF and the van-width versions was in the hub area....??

[/ QUOTE ]

You should find that guy and beat his ass! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

Oh wait! It was me! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Sorry, I was thinking dually 14 bolt and not van width, d'oh!

Anyway, I may need to find one of those for my truck since my bearing caps are shot...

3. blaz72

blaz72 Registered Member

My brotherinlaw and i found that out to day, van is bigger.

4. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

So..... What do you do about a broken axle shaft??? Are the axle shafts different lengths? Or does the van one just not engageas far into the diff? I find this very intriging! /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

5. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    So..... What do you do about a broken axle shaft??? Are the axle shafts different lengths? Or does the van one just not engageas far into the diff? I find this very intriging! /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Bruce,

The axle shafts are different lengths from side to side (just like any other 14BFF) but in this case they are both longer than usual.

According to what I've heard, the parts books have a seperate listing for van axle shafts, so yes, they will be longer.....but should offer the same amount of spline engagement on the diff side.

I never thought much about carrying extra axle shafts for a 14-Bolt....I suppose someone has broken one, but I don't think it's the kind of thing I'd ever pack as a trail spare.... /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif