Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

FACTOID: This ones for aj_tatted..... !

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Greg72, Oct 14, 2003.

1. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Thermo-Tec makes a very effective heat reflecting pad for installation on the floorboard area of vehicles that have a lot of heat in the footwell/tranny hump area.

Thanks to Summit Racing.....the order I placed yesterday, arrived today and I was able to do some impromptu testing by simply laying the blanket over half of the floor area while I let the truck run and get nice and warm.

I have to say that the stuff is as amazing as they say it is.... the untreated side got hot (yes aj, hot enough to melt your sneakers! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif) while the treated side was nice and cool....there was barely a trace of heat to be felt through the "miraculous space-age fabric"... /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Anyway, the stuff's not cheap but it's going to make a HUGE difference in the "creature comfort" aspect of my K5. Even on the cool days wheeling in Moab last week, the cab became unbearably hot (even with no hardtop!).... so this type of "mod" is going to be a welcome change.

For your reference it's a ThermoTec p/n #14001 (36" x 40" sheet) ~$75.00 (ouch /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif)

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

i was thinking of getting something like this for my rig. I dunno if I would call the heat through my floor excessive... but it definitely gets pretty warm. Only thing is, i have a bedlined floor. I need something that I could mount under the floor/above the tranny and could suck up being splattered with water/mud etc. any ideas?

j

3. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

Greg,

Do you put this on the bottom side of the floor? I do not want carpet or fabric inside the cab. Like that nice steel look! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. Greg72

The material is a reflective foil on one side, and a woven fiberglass-looking material on the other side.

Instructions say to install with the shiny side facing the heat source.

Supposedly, you can wrap exhaust with this stuff. It's supposed to be impervious to heat up to 2000*F. I don't want to install it underneath just because it would be one more thing to get covered in dirt, etc.

Fortunately, I will be installing carpeting, so I can just hide it underneath that. You Lixe-X/Rhinoliner guys will have to get more creative. My thinking is you could try to create curved heat shields over the exhaust, etc. and then maybe wrap the shields in this stuff???

5. Chris_T

Chris_T 1/2 ton status

That sounds perfect for my hot-day overheating problems. When I asked the exhaust shop to tuck up my crosspipe they got a bit TOO creative and put it within an inch of my oil pan. Great clearance, but idling on trails the engine will get hot fast!

How flexible is it and do they sell any other sizes Greg?

6. Greg72

Thermo Tec sells a lot of different products....

They sell a specific product to wrap exhaust with, that supposedly works excellent, AND adds power. The idea is that by holding the heat in the header for the first 20" or so, it has a better scavenging effect.... they have some cool dyno charts on their website you should check out.

Once you figure out what the most appropriate product is (I called their tech dept 'cuz I got confused!) you can order almost any of it through Summit....they seem to carry tons of ThermoTec stuff.

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif