Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

factory 14b detroit

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by atho, Nov 28, 2004.

1. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

did civilian trucks with the 14bff have the detroit locker as an option, or was the gov-lock the only option? I know in the older Eaton axle the Detroit was an option (G86 No-Spin), and I know about th CUCV's, but unsure about the civvy 14.
    Just curious because I am looking at a 14 bolt, seller has advertised with factory locker and 4.10 gears. I have pics of the carrier and its definitely an open carrier with some type of locker inside. factory detroit or ???
    thanks in advance

2. rodzzilla

rodzzilla 1/2 ton status

Haven't heard of or seen any Civy 14's w/Detroits. I am fairly sure it was only a Military option. Wish they did come in Civy's.

3. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

This is a pic of a 14ff gov loc in my rig. Stay away if you can /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

thanks for the pic, you actually posted it in a previous post of mine about discerning between a gov-lock and open carrier, and I used it as a reference point. I will try and link up some pics of the axle this time.

5. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

Well it definetley does not look like a gov loc. I don't know what a Detroit looks like in a FF here is a pic of one in my buds SF.
    [​IMG]

6. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

the ff's locker is like a lunch box locker, it fits inside the stock open carrier. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif thank again for the pix tho

7. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

My 1991 V3500 Silverado Crew Cab 4X4 came from the factory with a 14 Bolt Full Floater and Detroit Locker. The G80 Locking differential RPO code is in the glove box. Plus when I opened the diff cover, to change the gear oil, it was plainly obvious as well.

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

G80 is a gov bomb.

I've never seen a factory detroit in a 14 bolt civvy truck.

9. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

ttt anyone else?

10. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

11. dhdescender

dhdescender 1/2 ton status

Qualicum Beach, British Columbia, Canada - Eh.
    What else are you looking for, it's been pretty well established that they only came "factory" in military vehicles.

12. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Your pics are too dark and I cant tell if it has a locker. If it does youll be able ot see a spring through the hole on the left and right, otherwise youll see a gear.

13. dhdescender

dhdescender 1/2 ton status

Qualicum Beach, British Columbia, Canada - Eh.
    And if theres no holes and only 3 cross shafts its gov Loc.

14. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    What else are you looking for, it's been pretty well established that they only came "factory" in military vehicles.

[/ QUOTE ]

sorry, I was just interested to see if anyone had any factual info that they were or were not an option , not "I think" or "I've heard of" responses (although I do appreciate those who chimed in, thanks again).

To me it looks like an open carrier with a locker in it. I can easily distinguish that it is not a gov lock carrier, by looking at the pics above by stallion85 (thanks again also).
    I do not see a spring in the holes in the carrier (and there are holes, the bright shiny patches). But also, I do not see spider gears. I just see smooth metal, which says to me "locker." My Eaton H052 with a Detroit in it is the same way, there are no springs visible, its just smooth metal, and I also have another open Eaton carrier that I can easily see the spiders through.

I am unfamiliar with the 14 bolt and just wanted to make sure it is what is advertised. Thanks again for all the help and sorry to those I have offended.

15. 1-ton

[ QUOTE ]
    G80 is a gov bomb.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have been to several different web sites that claim to have accurate RPO code descriptions, and so far I have found three that say the G80 code is a locking differential, and two others that say it is a limited slip differential. Who do you believe? I know mine has a locker in it because I removed the diff cover. How it got there is anybodys guess.

16. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    G80 is a gov bomb.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have been to several different web sites that claim to have accurate RPO code descriptions, and so far I have found three that say the G80 code is a locking differential, and two others that say it is a limited slip differential. Who do you believe? I know mine has a locker in it because I removed the diff cover. How it got there is anybodys guess.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Gov-Lock is called a locker by the factory. A G80 is a gov-lock.

17. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

I know that GM used NoSpins ( Detriot Lockers ) in the larger trucks and had a RPO code for them and it is not the G80 that GM uses for the Eaton Gov-Loc's and other posi units .
    Has anyone ever checked to see what RPO code GM used for the CUCV's that had D/L's in them ???? I am not saying that this will settle anyones question on this post but it might enlighten us on the RPO code for the D/L's if GM was accurate enough.
    Note: I have been seriuos about GM trucks since the eighties and I have never seen a truck that was not a military or industrial application that came with a Detriot . I am not saying that it never happened but I have not seen one either . GM did call several posi's / limited slips / or what ever "locking differentials" it was a marketing slogan for anything not open diff .
    Tom

18. 1-ton

[ QUOTE ]
    How it got there is anybodys guess.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the diff in my truck came from a junkyard. When I first bought the truck, I noticed some chalk markings on the diff that had the final drive ratio with a $180 price written on it...just like a junkyard would do. I suspect the original diff was blown up by a previous owner, and they went to a junkyard to get another one. Then had a detroit put into it while they where at it.

19. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I know that GM used NoSpins ( Detriot Lockers ) in the larger trucks and had a RPO code for them and it is not the G80 that GM uses for the Eaton Gov-Loc's and other posi units .
    Has anyone ever checked to see what RPO code GM used for the CUCV's that had D/L's in them ???? I am not saying that this will settle anyones question on this post but it might enlighten us on the RPO code for the D/L's if GM was accurate enough.
    Note: I have been seriuos about GM trucks since the eighties and I have never seen a truck that was not a military or industrial application that came with a Detriot . I am not saying that it never happened but I have not seen one either . GM did call several posi's / limited slips / or what ever "locking differentials" it was a marketing slogan for anything not open diff .
    Tom

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps its the same as it used to be...the '66 C/20 that my Eaton H052 came from had "No-Spin Diff" listed on the option sticker and was RPO G86. It also had a neat little sticker by the rear window that indicated the truck had a No-Spin from the factory. I have a pic of this same sticker from Yukon Jack's K20.
    There is also a G87 "Maximum Traction" RPO, but I *think* that its for a dana 60 rear power-lock.