Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

factory alarm

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jackedjimmy350, Aug 1, 2005.

1. jackedjimmy350

jackedjimmy350 1/2 ton status

bought a 74 k5. first thing i noticed when i went to look at it was a key hole on the right side of the grille. from there comes a wire that attaches to a bracket on top of the radiator support. the guy said it was a "factory alarm" so no one would tamper with anything under the hood, and that a lot of the old camaros, chevelles, etc. had them. is this true? i have never heard of them before...

2. k5freak44

k5freak44 1/2 ton status

ive never heard of it either, im thinking a 74 would be hard to find with power windows and locks, but a factory alarm?

3. jackedjimmy350

jackedjimmy350 1/2 ton status

well when i say factory alarm, it just means inside the hood compartment. like if someone opened your hood it would go off. but if someone opened your doors it wouldnt.

4. sportbronco

sportbronco Newbie

My 76 Vette has the key alarm switch in the DS front fender which is a factory "alarm" that makes the horn sound when someone opens the doors or hood.
    Maybe its something like that, some cheap aftermarket gizmo.
    My first post too.
    1985 K5 project in the works. I love Blazers, Should have bought one a long time ago !

5. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Dealer thing, not factory installed. Chevy did sell them; they're in the Accessory catalogs on (shameless self-plug :) ) my Brochures page. I found one in the '77 catalog, page 11, f'rinstance.

-- A