Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Factory Driveshaft Parking Brake

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 73k5blazer, Dec 9, 2005.

1. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

Anyone ever seen one of these? According to the GM Parts books, they came on P-Chassis trucks. I did a GMPartsdirect and partsvoice search, the shoes and some hardware are available, but none of the drums are. I wonder if these could be adapted for our use to get rid of the pesky Caddy E-Brake on our rear-disc converted trucks.
    So next time your in the boneyard, don't pass by that listing chevy motorhome, go check out it's driveline!

[​IMG]

2. 6.2puller

6.2puller 1/2 ton status

Most of the early trucks used those behind SM420s, Rockwells and NP435s. I see them all the time in the yards. I probably have a few on some of my SM420 stockpile. :D

3. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

autos in motor home chassies also.

4. boz42

boz42 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

seen them on standards but never on autos, anyone know about what it would take to get a yoke to put it on the back of a 205

5. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Yeah, I think they are most often behind a th475 in motor homes, and of course the P-Chassis, least that is where I've seen them. Problem would be adapting for a TCase output, you'll need (in most cases) a 32 spline rear flange for starters, and probably some machine work, though that's a guess.

Probably easier (and cheaper in the long run) to get a disk kit if you run a rear CV. I would go that route if i didn't use 1410s in the rear, and my K5 may well get one since it does run a rear flanged CV.

6. boz42

boz42 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

are those flanges/yokes ready availble aftermarket or is there another source?

7. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

The yoke that bolts is still available from gmpartsdirect.
    part# 386674. At least I think that's it.
    Flange, UJT Frt. P3 w/M20 Only

8. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

That looks exactly the same type of set up we have on our scaffold trucks at work. Most of our trucks are 6500 top kicks with cat diesels and allisons. But obviously our trucks are newer 97-up.

9. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

Had a 68 jeep J10 gladiator with that style e-brake...it never did work right.

10. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

seen lots of them...

A lot of the bread trucks (P-30's) and School Buss chassis and some 1-1/2 ton trucks and larger used the drum style E-brakes on the prop shaft..

I don't recall one ever working that great either ,especially on hills!.(my dad had a gas company P-30 van he drove,that always rolled down our hilly driveway,even with it adjusted right and set tight--had to use wheel chocks whenever he parked in our driveway!)...not sure I'd go thru all the bother to get all the stuff for that setup,and try to use it..

I'm suprised they still use that setup in recent years..stone age tecknology!..(and what if the rear shaft's u-joints break??--NO emergency brake,just when you need it most!)...:eek1: ..at least one mounted on the pinion would still work,but are not legal in most states....:crazy:

11. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

The usual problem with the t/c and trans mounted drum parking brakes is that gear lube gets into them and soaks into the friction lining. Ask any old timer flat fender driver about the E-brake on those Jeeps. I'll bet they'll say "What E-brake?"
    In this regard a disc would be a better deal, but for ultimate static holding power a drum is the winner over a disc.

My local Snap-Off dealer's truck is an Auto and has that style E-brake.