Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Factory electric fan

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 84_Chevy_K10, Jun 8, 2004.

1. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I got a call today for a 1985 C/K30 with a 454/TH 400 with air conditioning that had what was supposedly a factory electric fan in front of the radiator.

Y'all think it was for real? I thought it was BS, and me and a few buddies at work were talking about it, but the customer insisted it was indeed real and factory.

2. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Yes it is, i had a friend who had a '91 2wd Burb with the 454 and it had the fan on the front.

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

The '91 454 I took apart had an auxillary fan on the PS, in front of the radiator. It was probably for the tranny cooler in the radiator, as it wasn't very big, and wouldn't serve much purpose over there other than that from what I could tell.

I know GM had a "tech bulletin" about overheating carbs in some Monte Carlos in the 80's, and the dealer would/could install a small fan that blew on the carb, so anything is possible I guess.

'85 seems kind of early, I don't even think they ran PS coolers on the trucks that early. (using that as an example of how long it could take for GM to identify/try to solve "problems". Still not sure how the PS pumps ran cool enough for 30-40 years with no problems then all of a sudden needed a cooler, but hey.)

4. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Actually i believe that is the oil cooler, mine has one from the factory as well, not with a fan, the power steering cooler is just some metal tubing run across the front radiator support a few times on the bottom.

5. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

I installed a 12" electric fan on the front of the passenger side of my radiator, outside, basically mounted to the AC condensor, helps to cool the condensor during the summer months out here, i did that crappy 134a conversion, and it definately helps out with the AC temps.
    Doesn't do much for my engine temps, as i need a new radiator anyways /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

I have it wired up with a relay, and the trigger switch connected to the pressure switch on the accumulator, so when the AC compressor kicks on, so does the fan.

Works nice.

6. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

It is factory. 1985 seems early, but I have seen them on several trucks. Trucks seen on: 87 Sub 454, 88 V3500 454, and I owned a '93 K2500HD with a 454 and it had the fan.

John

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Well that's pretty cool to hear. At least it is for real. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

It's a 454 thing.....you wouldn't understand. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Yeah I didn't think they started that till 87 but it is factory. My 88 454 Burb has one. They don't come on till 225 Degrees. I been planning to find a a lower temp sensor for mine. It almost never comes on in the winter. it's rare for it to come on in the summer unless your just stuck in traffic. The sensor is in the passenger side head.

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    It's a 454 thing.....you wouldn't understand. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

If it's a 454 thing, I don't want to understand......

Eh, I take that back, it'd be nice for the tow rig. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

Yeah I didn't think they started that till 87 but it is factory. My 88 454 Burb has one. They don't come on till 225 Degrees. I been planning to find a a lower temp sensor for mine. It almost never comes on in the winter. it's rare for it to come on in the summer unless your just stuck in traffic. The sensor is in the passenger side head.

[/ QUOTE ]

Look in the Jegs or SUmmit catalogs, they sell them in there, they are alittle pricey though, You may have to look it up for like a TPI Camaro or Firebird or whatever, that is what i bought mine for (the Camaro i had) It was i believe a 190degree switch, which did help out considerably, this switch worked the electric fans for the rediator, no motor driven fan.

If if i remember, i think they are about $40-$50 or so.

11. leadfoot067

leadfoot067 1/2 ton status

yes its true, i have one /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif.....it was on a 85c-30..i removed it and put it on my blazer in front of my power steering cooler,it has the factory wiring harnes and relay and weatherpack connectors....

12. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

It's part of a heavy duty cooling package that was offered only with 454's. Some of my shop manuals show how it's mounted and wired. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Oil cooler on the gas rigs is DS.

14. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Curious... What do you mean by "DS"??

My '87 K5 with TBI305 has the factory oil cooler (no dedicated fan).

15. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Driver's Side.

16. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes i know this, i was just saying i installed an aftermarket electric fan on my passenger side to aid with the AC condensor cooling. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

17. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

the 88 burban i had w/ 454 and ac had oil cooler on DS and elec fan on PS