Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

factory front dual shocks

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by js4x4, Jul 22, 2004.

1. js4x4

js4x4 1/2 ton status

Ok, I've been shopping around for a 4" lift for my blazer and a lot of the kits include 4 shocks...my factory ride has dual fronts. Can i do without a pair up front, or do I need both pair in front (with the pair on back of course)? My luck would say yes and I'll need some special lift that costs $500 more than any other lift ...thanks for the input!

2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

You may install only one pair of shocks up front.

Just buy a kit for your year rig and tell them if they ask that it doesn't have the quad shock option that way you get the correct shocks for the front. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Yep, what he said. Don't run the dual shocks. It causes alot of stain on the lower mount and it will fail. Mine did. I am currently only running 1 shock at each front tire with my truck that is dual shock from the factory.

Harley

4. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I run dual shocks, handles better and looks good.

5. Hossbaby50

hurts flex. The short shock is very short and will hurt your offroad ability. It is a good thing for a street truck but not an offroad truck. Offroad trucks don't need dual front shocks for the most part, and if the do it needs to be better setup and stronger then the stock GM setup.

Harley

6. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    hurts flex. The short shock is very short and will hurt your offroad ability. It is a good thing for a street truck but not an offroad truck. Offroad trucks don't need dual front shocks for the most part, and if the do it needs to be better setup and stronger then the stock GM setup.

Harley

[/ QUOTE ] so what will one shock do to street driving capability?jake /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Go with one shock. Gives you a smooth(for a K5) ride and more flex. The dual shocks are just a fad from the 80's...

8. js4x4

js4x4 1/2 ton status

Okay, I'm getting more one shock vs 2 shock...for off road, can see the benefit. this IS after all my daily driver, not an off road only toy... the dual shock would only make it a little stiffer in front anyway...thanks for the input! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. Hossbaby50

Its all what you are used to driving and want the truck to do. I have DD'ed my K5 with a welded rearend, no rear shocks, no swaybar, and only 1 shock per tire in the front. I don't have much problem with it.

Dual shocks were offered on the K5 in the HD front suspension so they would be better suited to have plows and such on the front. Diesels got the option becasue of the heavier motor. It was a purpose option along with the more shock fad that started in the 80's too.

It is not necessary and will do nothing but stiffen the onroad ride and limit flex offroad. If it was necessary every K5 would have had it. I personally would want my DD to ride better if I had the choice. Single shock will make it ride better.

I think the single shock has more pros then cons and is the better option. But it is your truck, your money, and your choice.

Also FYI if you do offroad with the single shock you have a decent possiblitity of denting and ruining the inside shock. I did with my 2.5" lift when it had the dual shocks. Dented both tubes on the spring packs under flex. That was with the swaybar on too mind you. So that was $50 worth of shocks ruined by a poor GM design.

Harley

10. smprider112

smprider112 1/2 ton status

post hi-jack....I am running a single shock on the duel setup....wheres the correct mounting location for just one shock??

11. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Just use the one in the front... /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

12. js4x4

js4x4 1/2 ton status

sweet, thanks again for the info...all my concerns are covered! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif