Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

factory Fuel Inj question.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Pure Insanity, Apr 13, 2002.

1. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

My neighbor picked up a wrecked 89 Caprice w/ 56,000 miles to get the motor out of and he doesnt want the injection. Is it the same or comparable to the trucks and if so whats it worth. Complete deal from manifold to computer and everthing in between.

I personally am not interested in it but told him I would see what its worth, and sell it for him if anyone was interested.

2. Pure Insanity

As soon as I posted this I realized its in the 73-91 forum....Grimmy could you move this to the Garage.

3. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

is it a TBI off a 305 or 350? Either should work with all the wiring and ecm, but the 305 will be pretty underpowered for bolting on a 350. We swapped a 305 TBI setup in my buddy's Willys a while back. Was a total cakewalk.

4. Pure Insanity

Its on a 305, guess I should have stated that. Could the TB take bigger injectors to feed a 350? I dont know squat about the TBI, other than I wouldnt use it myself. Nothing against it, it just wont feed my motor, otherwise Id scoop it and give it a try. LOL!! I might just try it anyway.

5. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

if he wants a reasonable price i might considder it. but i would need all the wiring to go with it also.
    pm me if he is interested.
    grant

6. Nrose07

Nrose07 1/2 ton status

The fuel pukers are the same for 4.3, 5.0, 5.7. Just the BB got upgraded. I see TBI setups for $200.00 pretty often. $.02

7. CaptCrunch

It could be made to work... I believe the only difference in the setups is the injectors(tbi body is the same) and the prom, but don't quote me on it. It actually would probably be decent for you. Just grab the wiring, sensors, ecm, fuel pump, and go for a Holley replacement unit. Then either use one of Howell's proms that they include (IIRC) or get a custom chip burned.

8. Pure Insanity

If he gets rid of it I will make sure its COMPLETE. Ill let you know what comes of it. I am thinking I may play w/ it for grins and giggles.

9. Pure Insanity

The TB, I was pretty sure was the same, but I figured the Injectors would be different.

10. Pure Insanity

I am gonna have to think about it. I was thinking I could get the adapter off a BBC truck to make it fit my intake, but they were adapted to a Q jet. I have the Performer RPM which is a square flange carb top. I just bought the intake when I built the motor and the ones for the TBI to go to Vortec heads is a bit pricey. Especially considering my truck runs good now, I just need to rerplace the worn out carb. and squeeze some more out. Id just hate to spend all the money for the TBI stuff and have it run like crap.

Unless I build a milder motor for PI and put this motor in my Camaro, which is what I built it for in the 1st place.

HMMMMMM. I may con it out of him and hold onto it.

Decisions....... Decisions!!!!

11. Nrose07

Nrose07 1/2 ton status

Why don't you buy my intake manifold! Edelbrock Vortec Performer RPM with everything ready to bolt a TBI on. Adapter, port matched, coolant crosover, throttle/TV brackets. Everything is here except the TBI. Real easy this way.

12. Pure Insanity

I think Ill have to pass. If I dont sell it for the guy Ill get it and just hold onto it and possibly build a milder motor for PI. I just dont see the TBI flowing well enuff to feed my motor that I have now. Sounds like a sweet set up you have there tho.

Another glitch I thot of in the last few hrs is I run a TH350 trans, not a 700. So I would prob. have a problem w/ the computer.

13. CaptCrunch

Steve... I have a Holley adapter plate that let's you bolt a TBI on to either style carb manifold. If you decide to go for the swap... You can have it for the price of shipping since I nabbed it so cheap anyways.

14. Pure Insanity

Thanx Mikey! But what about the fact that I run a TH350 instead of a 700?

How do I get myself into this? I started this post to find out how much its worth for the guy.....and turned into me thinking about putting it in PI. I keep trying to talk myself out of this but it seems like a simple swap and it wont hurt to try.

I am pretty sure it wont flow enuff for me tho.

Oh yeah hes gonna give me the 700 out of the car. He said it doesnt work. I figured Id keep it for a rebuildable core for my Camaro, but he told me the car was pounded in the front above the rails, so needless to say the radiator is toastada. Ill be willing to bet it just has no fluid. SHHHH dont tell him. /forums/images/icons/blush.gif

15. CaptCrunch

well I don't think the th350 would cause a problem. You will need to get the adater piece I believe for the kickdown to fit to the tv cable spot on the TBI unit. Might get a check engine light without the tcc attached, but no big deal since the ecm won't send it into a limp mode. I am assuming you have a non-lock up type th350.

The TBI unit from Holley will flow more then enough. The injectors will be more of a problem then the TBI unit. Keep in mind truck motors aren't sucking the same flow as a race car. Heck a guy came in with his mud truck and a 460 and was pretty pissed cause he was under 5 mpg w/ 33" tires and OD tranny swap(it was a work truck/tow rig on occasion). I swapped on a 650 Holley that he said no way would work... well with a power valve and some jet chages had that sucker humming to 12 mpg and virtually no performance loss.