Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Factory in dash tach?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Little Giant, Mar 21, 2002.

1. Little Giant

Little Giant Registered Member

Okay, so the dash has six gauge spots. 2 big ones, 4 small ones. I have a large fuel gauge, an empty small gauge spot, and no tach.

I am wondering if anyone makes a tach that would (reasonably) match the other other gauge and fit in where my fuel gauge is, and a small fuel gauge to fit into the empty spot I have.

To be honest I've never seen a factory chevy tach for this body style, though I'm pretty sure it was an option at some point.

I was thinking I would just throw a tach on the column, but since I want to replace my fuel gauge anyway just seemed like a 'cleaner' way to take care of things. I'm tired of driving along and having the truck cough-hic-up-die, then I flip the fuel selector switch and pump the gas trying to restart it in the middle of an intersection. I put 21.5 gallons in one tank the other day, though I know you Blazer Blokes can't relate.

Anyway. Help finding a manufacuter for factory style tach and fuel gauge would greatly be appreciated.

2. My friend had an 81 1/2 Ton pick-up and it had the tach were our large 5" fuel gauge is, and the fuel gauge was in one of the smaller 2 1/2"? (not sure) spots. Bottom left hand I believe. It worked out pretty cool, till he rolled it. I should have grabbed the cluster out of it, but didn't think of it at the time. About getting a tach and smaller fuel gague, goto you local autoparts store and ask them for the Autometer booklet, if they dont have one to give you they should let you look through theirs. They have 5" Tachs (Monster Tach) and all the little fuel gauge's you could ever want. Problem is they are going to look way newer then your older gauge's and you might have to mount them with the lip on the out side of the dash (not sure). Later

3. FastEddy

FastEddy 1/2 ton status

I have a complete guage cluster with factory tach, and all wiring/plugs/grommets to install, works great, from a 79 chev 4x4.....asking $175 plus shipping.....email if interested...... fasted@mts.net can send digital pics...thanks....ED

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Older tachs "fonts" and colors won't match your other gauges. You can make Camaro tach works, do a search if you want, I posted some info on how to do it awhile back. My page has pictures of the tach/fuel gauge installed like you want as well.

5. OldBlew

OldBlew Registered Member

I've seen them on ebay all the time.
    Expensive, but I sure like the look of them.
    I wish they made them to match a '91 with electric speedo.

6. dyeager535

One guy on Ebay was saying that '81 was the last year tachs were optional. I'm not QUITE sure I believe that, but as rare as the '81 up style tachs are, I wouldn't be surprised. My 85/86 parts manual makes no mention whatsoever of them being available. Should have been standard IMO.

7. Redfrog

Redfrog 1/2 ton status

The one I have in my 79 came out of a 84 or 85 one ton dullie
    w/ a 454 auto so I would not believe that. but it may be because it was out of a one-ton......who knows

8. possum

possum Registered Member

What year Camaro did you get these from?

9. dyeager535

Well, if you know it was stock that year, then I guess his idea has been disproved. I just can't believe its not in my '85/86 parts manual, yet all the other gauges/clusters are. Darn.

10. dyeager535