Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

factory-like sheetmetal adhesive?

Discussion in 'The Body Shop' started by jekbrown, Mar 13, 2006.

1. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

anyone know where to get this stuff? I'd like to use it in conjunction with welding when doing major bodywork stuff. Anyone got a brand name? Source? application tips?

j

2. MarcS

MarcS 1/2 ton status

I'm not sure if it's used at the factories, but 3M 5200 glues about anything together. Don't expect to ever get it apart. Tough stuff.

3. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

what you want is a panel adhesive... many different manufacturers.. heres what the 3M looks like
    [​IMG]

but be aware, i wouldn't weld too near it, for structural and fire reasons...

haha, 5200.. i swear i've pumped about 10,000 tubes, literally, of that stuff in the marine business... :doah: :haha: good stuff, but boy its like POR15 if ya get it on your skin...

just for the record, 5200 does only have a certain window before it breaks down.. obviously sunlight, etc quickens this... we usually see it last in the 5 to 10 yr range...

4. jekbrown

ok, where do you generally get this stuff?

j

5. ryoken

any bodyshop supply place will have some brand of it... or i supposed a Google search'd bring up something online if need be....

6. jaros44

jaros44 1/2 ton status

What if I use this stuff to hold on my 1/4 panel patch and rivets? I'll be flanging the pc in anyway. Is welding still the best way? This pc. of sheet metal doesn't really hold anything else. I just might try it,if you think it would work.
    I don't think I'll be around in 5-10 yrs. anyway.:haha:

7. ryoken

Well, honestly I don't have a ton of experience with the stuff. Most guys i know that have used it, swear by it...

In some applications, they're glueing whole panels on.. But I'm kinda oldschool and am leary.. and will always prefer welding...

I would think if you could get the panel to fit up decent, find a way to clamp or screw it into place properly it would hold fine for many moons.. The biggest issue other than proper edge-prep for adhesion I think is getting the patch flush everywhere while the stuff dries...

I'd also wanna throw some Dyna-Glass over the seams fo sure..

It definitely dries much different than 5200, not nearly as rubbery, much harder...

8. jaros44

jaros44 1/2 ton status

Glob of Crap or not???

I'd hate to screw something up, I don't know what I'm doing with that stuff so it would be an experiment. I agree with old school. I can flange it cleco it and weld it and be done. Who knows what I would end up with the other way.
    Thanks for the insight. Later J.

9. jekbrown

I am going to be building a new trans/t-case tunnel in my rig... this stuff will be usefull. Basically I'm going to use angle on the floor, it will be "glued" and bolted there... and then I'll have some kind of sheetmetal to go from the angle up to the tube that will make up my center console.. again, glued and bolted. GM used this stuff quite a bit... the more I cut my truck up, the more of it I see. I think it will make the tunnel quite a bit more firm and less likely to rattle, vibrate etc.

j

10. ryoken

Perfect for that application... Tho for any panel you'd like to be removable to any extent, I would actually go with 3M 5200 or even 4200... where panel adhesive is basically a 2-part epoxy, 5200 is more like a windshield urethane and alot less "permenent"...

11. jaros44

jaros44 1/2 ton status

Np205-jek

Sorry to interrupt you guys but I downloaded the information you sent me, it is an amazing amount of information, actually the hard part was learning how and where to download it. Any way I have it now and I thank you for your time:bow: Later J.

12. Kartoon

Kartoon 1/2 ton status

best stuff to use is the 'fusor panel adhesive'

we use it every day at work to glue on quarter panels, core supports or what ever. you can weld near it, on top of it. the weld just spatters before it burns through. id suggest you use fusor. i think its the only product that manufacturers allow you to use.

13. jaros44

jaros44 1/2 ton status

What brand is Fusor.

14. jekbrown

yeah, spill the beans! Where do you get the fusor? How much does it cost? Can I find it online somewhere? I went to my local auto paint supply place, they really didn't have jack. :( :confused:

j