Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Factory locker ?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by gtchief, Nov 4, 2006.

1. gtchief

gtchief Registered Member

I blew the spiders on my rear end and am trying to replace them. I didnt look close enough and thought it was open so I ordered the gears. After starting to rip it apart I find that I ordered the wrong gears. What are the factory locker options available for an '89 corp 10bolt? I doesnt look like a posi unit so I'm wondering what it actually is. Does anyone know where to get spiders for it too? Thanks.

2. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

More than likely you have the famous Gov-Lock .
    If I am not mistaken the internals are not offered by any after market supplier. You might be able to source tham from GM but I would not think it would be cost effective.
    Look real close at the carrier and I'll bet you will find wear on the case holes for the cross shaft - and this means you will need a new diff. At the very least replace the bearings as the metal from the broken spiders will have caused problems for them.
    It is generally recomended that a replacement for a Gov-Lock is not another Gov-Lock . Too many "better" diff's are offered by the aftermarket to replace with a weak factory diff.

Good luck , Tom

3. gtchief

gtchief Registered Member

Goc-lock has 4 gears, right?

Any suggestions on a cheap replacement locker? I know cheap isnt the best way to go, but it doesnt really go off-road and it wont have larger and 35s.

4. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

detroit tru-trac. For 35's and mild off-road use its a good diff. Tru-trac's are gear driven so you don't have friction clutches to wear out and don't require friction additive to the gear oil to make them work

5. Confedneck79K30

Confedneck79K30 3/4 ton status

thats a gov-lok... no good for nothin... mine blew out on pavement with 33s and a worn out 350..... blown out means "carrier split in half"

6. Slapperbar

Slapperbar Retired Navy NDT Examiner Premium Member

7. MaxPF

MaxPF 1/2 ton status

That list is for a clutch-type limited slip, not a Gov-Lok.

If you want something to get you by until you can afford a real locker just score an open carrier from a pick-a-part. Then when you can afford a Detroit, ARB, E-locker, ECTED or whatever replace it :thumb:

EDIT: I noticed you have an 89. Depending on when in 89 it was made the shafts could be either 28 or 30 spline. Physically count them to make sure which one you have. If you have a 28 spline I would suggest scoring a complete 30 spline 10b (late 89 -91). Better yet, score a 6-lug 14bsf and never worry about it again :D