Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Factory locking rear differential

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by johnnieg, May 22, 2003.

1. johnnieg

johnnieg 1/2 ton status

Is it worthy at all? I was looking through the original window sticker and it says it has an optional locking rear differential. The owners manual mentions it and it sounds like a limited slip. It got me thinkin' but if it's worthless i'll replace it if i get some money.

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Depends on how you use the truck. If you aren't heavy on the gas with big tires, the gov-lock will last, and is actually pretty effective.

If you like burning out and what not, it's a horrible design, but then again, in a truck, so is the entire 10 bolt axle.

3. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

if you look in the glove box, and look at the code sticker, and you see G80, that is the govbomb code, beware if your truck has one /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

4. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

anything since at least the mid 70s anyways, but after 72 for sure at least, 72 was still the good strong disc type posi units, rebuildable

5. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

If your not running big tires, it should be fine. I have heard several people on here say that with the "gov-loc", they can get them to lock up on the street and chirp the tires around corners just like a detroit. IMHO it is an effective locker for the application. The stock blazer with stock tires shouldnt break it, and it will lock up perfectly, that is if its not worn out, and unlock, and still be virtually unnoticeable on the street. If you run big tires, then no, its not very strong and you should upgrade to a detroit or lock right. But then again, the 10 bolt isnt very strong, so why not upgrade to a 14ff. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    -Harrison

6. MousePowrd

MousePowrd 1/2 ton status

Mine barks all the time. I can feel it on tight corners also. I had G80's on my 1 ton dually (14 bolt) and the Grand National (8.5") and neither of them felt as tight as the one on my K5. Maybe its about to blow? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

7. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

everyone mentions "big tires" please define big tires as to some people 31" are big whereas to others 35" are small.

8. MousePowrd

MousePowrd 1/2 ton status

31's are stock so thats not big. Usually anything over 33's puts a significantly heavier load on the whole drivetrain

9. dyeager535

running 33's on mine, no problems yet. taking a 90* turn, one wheel will spin for a split second, then no spin. Kinda neat, but don't like the corner/one wheel spin deal. At least it wouldn't put you into a spin on ice if you get straightened out before it locks. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

10. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

I think it was after around 79. There junk, at work we wont rebuild them. Like everyone said, if you drive around town and are easy its fine, otherwise, when it goes youll be sorry.

11. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

my 86 has a govlock... works pretty darned well with the 33s...

12. dyeager535

You *might* be able to get it to work again if you want. My '83 was that way, "barking" around corners, sharp enough and fast enough on pavement and it felt like you were running over a curb.

Means the gov-lock is locked up tight. Mine had a problem with the piece on the "outside" of the carrier, it was stuck. Unstuck it, and not sure if it ever worked right again (never tested it) but the "curb hopping" feeling was gone at least /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif