Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Factory oil cooler help

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by DMK, Dec 13, 2000.

1. DMK

DMK 1/2 ton status

My oil cooler return line is leaking very badly were it goes into the cooler. It is tight. Also the adaptor leaks were the filter screws on and at the block but I can maybe live with that. What is underneath the adaptor to the block? If I take it off will a filter screw on to the block? Need to get this fixed and would rather get rid of the cooler all together. Any suggestions? TIA
    Doug

2. djohnsn

djohnsn 1/2 ton status

Doug,

I don't have the answer to your question, but I have been looking for a factory oil cooler. If you decide to remove it and want to sell it, I might be interested in it.

3. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

The tube sounds like it cracked at the fittin'. If you over tighten them they crack. Since you said that the oil filter adapter mounts to the engine you must have a 350 cu., the gaskets for the filter and the adapter sounds like they need to be changed. The cooler is something you should keep.

C'moe

<font color=black>the blazer is "Back in Black"

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

You can remove the engine adapter and install an oil filter. Undo the hoses, then the whole adapter unscrews from the block. But I'd fix the leaks if it were mine. An engine oil cooler really helps if you use your truck hard.

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com

5. JimmyDie6.2

JimmyDie6.2 1/2 ton status

On your oil cooler question..you can unscrew that thing that screws into the block where the oil filter goes. there is a small allen key nut that is up there that holds it in its spot, which is where the oil filter goes.(my old 81 3/4 ton sub with a 350 was like this). the little screw is very small and looks almost flush with side of the filter adapter "thing". Where the two lines go in, that thing. Also after you unscrew it, there is that thing that the filter screws to. you have to add that to your engine. I think it takes two little screws to put up there.......I just read this post and its hard to understand. About the old lines you could go to a place that makes heavy duty hydraulic lines, like for fork lifts and the like and have them make you up an indestructable oil cooler line.........hope this incoherent post helps you.....js

6. Gopherkiller

Gopherkiller 1/2 ton status

I run diesels here, so have ran inti this a couple of times before. I say to hell with the crap factory lines, and get high pressure hydalic lines made up. It's easy. Hey it's cheaper than an engine!