Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Factory Oil cooler lines

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by walt88, Sep 22, 2002.

1. walt88

walt88 1/2 ton status

I was driving down the parkway cranking at 75 mph. All of sudden my cab is full of smoke. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

I pulled over and checked. I found that the front driveshaft and tranny and tcase were spattered with fluid. I called the tow truck and didnt really take a closer look.

My dad drove by and seen golden fluid on the flat bed of the tow truck. Probably oil, after it smoked I shut the truck off as i was coasting to prevent any further damage.

I was wondering if the oil cooler lines can be fixed, what has to be done? Are you better off eliminating the oil cooler in itself? I dont tow at all.

I'll update when I find out exactly whats wrong. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

2. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

If the problem is with your oil cooling system, it's probably either a connection or the cooler itself. Those are the two weak points in the system.......

Let us know what you find.

3. blazin90

blazin90 Newbie

i am having the same problem called chevrolet they dont make the lines anymore i think i'm gonna remove it alltogether

4. walt88

walt88 1/2 ton status

Well I didnt find anything having to do with oil cooler in LMC either.

5. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

I had to replace one of mine a couple months ago and the chevy dealer ordered it for me, had it in a couple of days.

6. Mr. Jimmy

Mr. Jimmy Registered Member

could just add an after market cooler, or if it's just the lines, a hydraulic shop should be able to manufacture these lines reasonably.

7. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Well first off the oil cooler lines run down the driverside. They mate to an adaptor between the Oil filter and block. So knowing that it can't be the oil cooler because the drive shaft is on the other side of the engine.
    Must be tranny cooler lines. No you don't want to remove that. Fix it. That's a pretty common set of lines and should be an easy junkyard score.

8. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Mine just pooped a chicken on me this weekend. It seperated where the rubber and the steel meet. I removed the system and went mud bogging on Sunday. Didnt notice a change in temps.