Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Factory padding in rear of 91 Blazer

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by RJB44, Jun 26, 2006.

1. RJB44

RJB44 1/2 ton status

I recently left the back window partially down on my 1991 Blazer during a heavy rain strom. I was away from the truck for a couple of days and when I returned I opened the door and was overcome with incredible stench (first thought was a dead animal in the truck). I recently finished some interior work last month so the truck was pretty clean, it was clear nothing dead was present. I traced the smell to the back, the saturated carpet near the tailgate.

I pulled the carpet back and saw that it was soaked right through to the metal floor. My plan was to cut out the soaked insulation like pading and replace it with similare from Home Depot. Between the carpet and the padding was a hard black covering of some sort, when I pulled it back, it broke into small pieces, breaking off inside the black pastic covering. What is this piece? I am thinking it is something to reduce road noise? I'm not sure if this piece was contrbuting to the odor, it looks like it is pretty much sealed in the plastic covering, therfore water wouldn't get in? What happen if I take it out?, will I get a ton of road noise with just soft padding and carpet? By the looks of it, I believe it to be something that was put in at the factory?

2. neverendingproject

neverendingproject 1/2 ton status

Take the top off, let it dry out, then spray some febreez or lysol on it. I wouldnt worry about the black stuff. If you are really worried about installation, get some aluminized stuff that will stick to the metal floor.

Personally, I would let it dry out and call it good.

3. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Get a replacement pad from LMC. They come pre-cut for our K5s.

4. AZ79K5Project

AZ79K5Project 1/2 ton status

x2 Can you lift the carpet up to let air flow under it? If you can, let a fan blow under it for a while with the rear gate and windows open. It will speed up the drying.

The smell should die when the carpet has completely dried. If you live in a humid place, it may take a little while.

5. 2Dogs

It comes back with humidity, eventually it just needs to be replaced. My old pad actually started crawling down the street when I removed it. :haha: Did not realize how bad the smell was until all the new stuff was in (carpet and padding, f&r).

6. AZ79K5Project

I saw VA after I posted... We are running 109+ degrees with 14% humidity today. Not too many problems with humidity.

Hey where did you get the carpet and pad and how much $$$? I've checked LMC and the others for my rotted mess of carpeting.

7. 2Dogs

I got the insulation and carpet kits from LMC. The polymastic sound deadener from McMaster Carr.

I can dig up receipts if you need but it should be easy to get the numbers.

8. 2Dogs

9. AZ79K5Project