Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Factory quad shocks to single setup...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by fad2blk99, Jul 15, 2002.

1. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

My Jimmy came with the factory Quad shock setup and I want to go with a single shock setup. Can I just bolt a single shock in place and leave the second out? If so which one of the two mounting locations would be best? /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

2. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Yes, and, it probably does not matter but it might Fit easier to put it into the forward top mount due to the shock angle. Basically just take the back one off.

3. nofeartruckin00

nofeartruckin00 1/2 ton status

I agree, use the front. When only using 1 of the 2 shocks, they seemed to work better in the front position than the rear position. Not sure why, but it did for me.

4. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the help guys!!! I knew ya'll wouldn't let me down!!!

5. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

For my stupid Redneck Adventures in 4x4 building this weekend, I did an experiment.

The ingrediants:
    Worn out crap shocks on front
    2 coilover spring over load leveler shocks laying in garage
    And no $$$$$$$$$
    Well, you can imagine what I tried and looks like I may have suceeded. I put
    the load levelers (which are for the rear may I add) on the rear mounts because I have issues with shocks riding on an unprotective area, which is the lower mount for the upper mount. Now I must add this, this is not a permanent replacement, just temporary until the $$$ arrive to placate a shock hoop setup and Bilsteins.

After 4 hours due to fitment and jack issues (F'N thieves)both shocks were in place. I rolled around town tested, less dive in theshold braking, a lot better ride and real smooth, especially hitting the big ones for a little air. In the dirt and mild whoops, the ride was also smooth. This is a good fix for the poor boy.

Disclaimer: All safety issues were covered with liberal use of jackstands.