Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Factory Rear CV drive shaft? (Double cardon)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by camarossguy2, Jul 27, 2006.

1. camarossguy2

camarossguy2 1/2 ton status

I recentally lost a u joint in my drive shaft exploded and now im trying to find a replacement, but all im finding are regular ones.

My 89 had a CV rear shaft. Was it factory? looks old and rusted...looks factory.

is there a big difference between a CV shaft and a regular one for a truck with 8'' or so of lift?

thanks

2. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

3/4 ton axles CV shaft, 8" lift? You definatly have a custom shaft(s). Post up info on axles/drivetrain. Maby someone here can give you a # for a ujoint that may fit. You could also take the driveline down to your local driveline shop and tell them what your setup is they will be able to get you what you need.
    CV joint or double cardan drivelines work better at steep angles and give less wear and tear. than regular 2 joint DLs
    **PM Drivelineman He will help you

Last edited: Jul 27, 2006
  3. camarossguy2

I bought the blazer with just a 6'' lift and stock everything and thats how it came, with those Drive shafts. I will post a pic of whats left of the old one, but it looks factory.

Also the retard i bought it from didn't know about them.

4. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

hmmm yeah i need info on this too...

I have a factory rear 2 piece shaft.. lowered the carrier bearing a few inches but the shaft angle is still steep... I can actually make the rear tires hop if I launch hard enough :haha:

scares people next to me....

5. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I have never seen a stock CV shaft on the rear of an 89 Blazer so I do not think it is stock. A PO prolly lifted it 6" and had vibrations. He may have had a CV joint shaft built for it or went the cheapo route and had a CV joint installed in the stock drive line. Does it still have a slip yoke? Or do you have a SYE?
    Lifting a blazer over 4" usually involves driveline work of some kind. I had my rear shaft lenghtened slightly and rebuilt with stronger lighter DOM tube To get rid of a drive train viabration I got with only a 4" lift. Its smoother and stronger than stock now.

6. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

Thats because no stock chevy truck ever used a rear cv driveshaft...

7. camarossguy2

Here is whats left of my CV shaft

[​IMG]