Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Factory Rear Locker - Odd behavior?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by crawlink5, Jan 9, 2004.

1. crawlink5

crawlink5 1/2 ton status

Had the 78 Blazer about 3 weeks now. 203 with part time kit.

The hubs were on free. Pulling out of the shop the rear acted as if it had a spool in it - dragging one tire. I immediately suspected it was in 4x4. Never got out of the parking lot like this. Started playing with the x-fer case shifter and it seemed as if it was in 2x based on shifter position. Went to neutral and back to 2x and 4x a couple of times and it straightened out. But at one point in 2x the front shaft was locked. This leads me to believe that the linkage may have got crossed.

I thought that the factory locker was a limited slip type with clutch discs and springs? Is there another type in the factory rears in 1978?

Could the linkage on the x-fer have been put into front low and rear high causing this?

I know this is vague, but it didn't seem to act as it should have so I can't say for sure what was going on. I've had the posi type rear before in a race car and I've been driving 4x4s for 9 years now with the front and rears locked with lock-rights. No posi's in 4x4s though.

With the front hubs unlocked I would think that I shouldn't have noticed ANYTHING strange or even noticed it being in 4x4 high unless the driveshaft vibrated going down the road.

When it is for sure in 2x the front shaft rotates freely by hand - no binding.

Why would the rear lock up like a spool? Was there binding in the x-fer case causing pressure in the rear posi causing it to lock up? Turning in the parking lot it was dragging one tire. Can the x-fer get out of whack? It seems to be fine now, but if I need to do something to it, I'd rather do it on my terms and not in a parking lot somewhere.

Thanks for any input,
    Doug

2. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

gov lok

3. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

yep that is the gov lock, just get a 14 bolt for a couple hundred bucks and call it good! /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

4. crawlink5

crawlink5 1/2 ton status

Found this in another thread:
    the GM code for a Gov-Loc is G80.

The original sticker does say "G80 Rear Locking Diff"

So does it locking at 1/4 mph mean it is about to go out or is it just a quirk of the piece of crap?

5. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

mine started locking up, then it stopped catching at all and the truck would not move, I streached it out for almoast two weeks before it stopped working for good.

hurry!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

My gov loc made noise for two years. Thought it was OK. Rearend locked solid Oct 29th. Found the discs in the gov lock broken in my spider gears turned into the case and ripped the case, sheared the crosspin bolt off, but didnt hurt the ring and pinion. I went 12 bolt to replace it because it was cheaper where I live. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

7. crawlink5

crawlink5 1/2 ton status

14 bolt here I come. I need to stay 6 lug for now, though. I saw at another post that some 14bsf out of 3/4 ton is 6 lug.

Is there a d60 front that is 6 lug?

8. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

The corp 9.5 can come in six lug (or interchange with 9.5 six lug shafts) the strength is not quite a 14FF but better than a 12B. As for the 60. Dynatrac ($$$) has 5 and 6 lug hub kits for a 60.

9. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

yea... but the way I see it is if you NEED a D60 front you NEED somthen stronger then a 14bolt SF if you want strength get a FF

10. crawlink5

crawlink5 1/2 ton status

Yea, I guess so on the ff. Just have to wait til I get money for rims and tires. Plus, I've got 5 new 33x12.5x15 for the Blazer now. Seems kinda like a waste. Don't you have to go to 16 or 16.5" rims on 8 lugs?

EDIT: But, the need is not there right now, just the want. Without it, I wouldn't plan on going to where I need it - so it would be an unplanned trip that it (sf) broke on.

I don't push equipment that can't handle the stress AND get me back, if I can help it. I'm too old to be walking all over the woods.