Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Factory Roll bar?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Den, May 25, 2002.

1. Den

Den 1/2 ton status

Did the k5s ever have a fact. option of a roll bar??? I know the Furd and the Dog Ramcharger both did..... hmmmmm that would be cool.........

2. 4x4k20

4x4k20 1/2 ton status

yes you could get them on 69 -75 k5s but not sure on later ones

3. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

yea..i dont think the newer ones did like the early 80's and up..cause i never see them in them.i have a 85 and a 84 and they both dont have one either..

Bryan-later

4. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

I think in the 80's model you could get a optional rear "family bar" that supposedly protected the rear passengers since the driver and front passenger are protected with the built-in roll bar

5. big d

big d 1/2 ton status

ive only seen them mostly in 70's era blazers at the rear just behind the rear wheel wells(i have one i picked up at the salvage yard and yet to have installed). i think early 70's 2nd generation may have had one inbehind the front seats, i have made the mistake of passing up on two of these that went to the crusher. i think with some mods they can work in later blazers which have the redesigned rear floor just in front of the flip down seat. hope this helps.

6. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

I had what I thought was a factory roll bar on my '77.

7. Nonesuch

Nonesuch 1/2 ton status

I had a factory "family bar," as described above, on my '79. It was alright looking but not as cool as an eight point cage would be.
    Justin

8. WinnipegK5

WinnipegK5 Registered Member

Yes , I just bought an 80 parts truck that had a factory "roll" bar in it. It is at the very back behind the spare tire but I don't think it would actually help much if you rolled.

Later
    Mike

9. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

69-75 a Hoop at the B-Pillar location was pretty normal. Most have/had it even though it was an option. 76-78 a hoop in the same location was an option but they are not very common. I know somebody that has a 76 with one. A family bar was a very rare option. It mounted in the rear of the truck as was pointed out. Seemed to be a late 70's option. I not aware of it being available in the mid to late 80's.
    Some other information as to why they are not very common after the truck wen to a steel roof. The steel roof has a great deal or reinforcing and was sold as a built in roll bar. The factory hard tops also are reinforced at the rear of the vehicle. There is a steel channel that in molded into the top.
    Another interesting peice of information is the most (not all) of the roll bars that were installed by the factory were made by Smitty built. You can buy a factory style hoop to this day from Smitty. They also sell a front cage kit to be built off the factory or their aftermarket hoop. Quite a few people have taken two hoops and the front cage kit and made a full cage with some stringers. It works out fairly well and makes a fairly stong cage for a pretty reasonable price. Easily done in your driveway with a welder and some extra tube from your local suply house. All the bends will be made already and just takes some fitting and cutting. You can make the notches by hand with a die grinder. Not fast but not hard either.

10. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

My 77 came with a factory roll bar, they are very RARE!!!

11. denver75k5

denver75k5 1/2 ton status

My 75 came wih one, but I wouldent trust it to save my life!

12. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

My 78 had the rear roll bar which is near the tailgate. I will check my factory options sheet and see what it says. I have plenty of pics on my webhots if you want to see the roll bar.

www.community.webshots.com/user/mudzer

Look for the white K5 with Boggers.

13. Nonesuch

Nonesuch 1/2 ton status

I still to this day wish I never sold my old 79 blazer. I do remember the license number if anyone would like to help me find it. It was, 914 4XD (texas plates).

14. Den

Den 1/2 ton status

Ok... now the we know they exist... does any one want to sell me one??? I am puting on my new SOFT TOP..and need one... and does anybody have an idea on where to mount the shoulder restraints???? I need to need to keep the kiddos safe.... thanks...

15. Itali83

Itali83 1/2 ton status

Are these bars worth any money?? I have the opportunity to pick one up off a 78 for probably nothing. Are they worth anything to sell or anything like that??
    Ben 87 Jimmy

16. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    My 74 had one and the rear stringers connected into the wheel wells.

17. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

I got one for free from my moms mechanic and I gave it to a friend then I bought another one at a yard sale for $25... both weren't dented up and in good condition, just needed to be painted is all....

18. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

If you put the rear one in you will not be able to fold the top. The one right behind the front dorrs will not interfere. I have a full cage in my 75 and I cannot clear the cage even though my cage is a fast back style that slops down right after the rear seats. That's on a Fast track. On the Best top and the STC Snap top they only use two bows to suport that top and the bows are longer. They may clear a fast back style cage.

19. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

If it's not too late consider returning the soft top you have and having one made by a shop that'll work with a rollbar. Like Grim said most won't work with a rollbar. Someday when I marry a rich doctor (hahaha) I will get a cage then have a top made to fit over it...

20. Den

Den 1/2 ton status

Den...HE!! yes.. Im trying to buy one!!! See what you can do....