Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Factory skid plates????

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Rusty68, Aug 22, 2003.

1. Rusty68

Rusty68 1/2 ton status

I was just wondering how many of your guy's rigs had the skid plate on the tranny/transfer case crossmember? The cross in my truck does not have one. But I was digging threw some of my parts today and found a crossmember that does. Its kinda weird though. It just looks like a piece of 3/8 plate riveted accross the bottom. But what I found odd was that there is no accesss to the support bushings. I cant even see how you would bolt the tranny down to the crossmember. Someone care to try and explain this to me?

2. 71blaz

71blaz Registered Member

My blazer has a skid plate that I believe to be factory, It bolts to the lower portions of the cross member and stick back and covers the transfer case. If you want to get to the trans/mounts you have to remove it. there are 4 bolts that hold it in place. hope this helps /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

Also, on this vintage of truck, they used a second frame crossmember behind the transfer case when the skidplate option was installed. The skid plate attached to both crossmembers.

4. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Yup I have the dual crossmember/skid plate. I also HAD a factory gas tank skid.

5. Rusty68

Rusty68 1/2 ton status

hmm so it unbolts eh.. The one that I currently have as those large blind rivets similar to whats holding the frame together. Im wondering how it was attached in the first place:) But I may grind them off and bolt it to my crossmember. Never can have to many skids....

6. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

It has to unbolt so that you can change the clutch or get at any other tranny or transfer case stuff...

7. mkmiller

mkmiller 1/2 ton status

rusty68-The skidplate you are describing is from a 67-69; from 70-72 they made the ones that bolt to the crossmembers. I have one like you described on my '68lwb4x4, from what I can tell it would serve no purpose but some said it was to protect the carrier bearing on lwb trucks(mine has a 1 piece driveshaft). There is a guy over at the 67-72 truck board on the 4x4 page that is selling the newer ones 70-72(home made with all correct bends and holes)for like $25+ship. It is actually under a thread I started titled "Skid plate pic".
    Catch ya later,
    Matthew

8. Rusty68

Rusty68 1/2 ton status

Yea, I checked that thread out. Makes sence that it was a bearing skid because there is no way it could have been for the tranny, even though they appear identical. Also since the plate is in the middle, I was confused as to what part of the tranny/transfer case the skid was supposed to protect as the lowest point is offset towards the pass side. I guess I need to shut up and nod my head and drink my coffee. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

9. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

Father in laws 71 k5 HAD the factory skid plate for the fuel tank...he put in a 40 gallon monster years bak but we still have the skid plate. Until i saw the plate i had no idea they made them back then.

DW

10. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

My Dad's 75 had a gas tank, t-case, and front/rear diff skid plate from the factory! /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif