Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Factory Spoiler Installation

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 86IROC, Feb 10, 2006.

1. 86IROC

86IROC Newbie

Hey I got an 83 fullsize Jimmy ( Seirra Classic) I recently purchased a factory spoiler, with no bolts. What bolts can I use to install this thing?

2. trailblazr81

trailblazr81 1/2 ton status

Spoiler?? What, for the roof?? You need more downforce for high speed stability?? I would just get some from hardware store and put some sealant on them. Or are we talking about a different spoiler?? :dunno:

3. BIG*RED

BIG*RED 1/2 ton status

i think he is talking about the "air deflector" that came on some blazers..not really a spolier, its susposed to help keep the back window clean....wether or not it actually works..:dunno:

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

The factory used "well nuts" with stainless bolts that IIRC, match the countersink in the spoiler. You can get the well nuts at really good hardware stores.

These tops are so easy to find, if you aren't in a huge hurry, you might just find one that already had the spoiler on it, and use the new top.

You could try something that went through both pieces of the fiberglass, but I suspect the inner surface isn't flat where they'd protrude.

And yes, in my experience, the spoiler helps a great deal keeping the rear window dry/clean, and keeping exhaust out while the vecicle is moving with the rear window down.

5. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Exactlly, I can drive mine at any speed and have no problems with exhaust fumes with the rear window down.

Ira

6. trailblazr81

trailblazr81 1/2 ton status

Hmmm.... Never seen one in my neck o the woods...

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

And as an aside, not quite correct before, the factory didn't use well nuts, but that's the closest equivalent I was able to find. They used the same type of nuts that you see holding the side view mirrors to the door. But since the well nuts are rubber, they will seal against moisture. Since you cut into the space where the metal frame of the top resides, that is a good thing.