Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

factory stereos suck,why do they sound so crappy???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by boggerless, Sep 25, 2004.

1. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

if the windows are up it sounds ok /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif,but if the windows are down WTF??? (i'm talking 96 and newer).i want sound ,i want to be the guy behind you shaking your car. i know alot of people hate that guy around here,but i LIKE to feel music.i can burp louder than my POS stereo. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

2. boggerless

i can't seem to spell / /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

3. boggerless

there i fixed it for me. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    if the windows are up it sounds ok /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif,but if the windows are down WTF??? (i'm talking 96 and newer).i want sound ,i want to be the guy behind you shaking your car. i know alot of people hate that guy around here,but i LIKE to feel music.i can burp louder than my POS stereo. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

[/ QUOTE ] Why ??? Because the car company puts the cheapest stereo and the cheapest speakers in the vehicle when they build them. It's all about the profits. I too like the big booming stereo systems. Factory installed radio and cheapass paper speakers just don't do it for me either. The audio forum is a better place too disscuss this. I'm sure most everyone who visits that forum knows what I like by now, LOL.

5. boggerless

ieght, /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

6. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

why?

pressed paper spiders in the speakers. Paper cones and paper or, at best, foam surrounds

All that paper makes factory speakers have crappy power handling capacity and poor sound reproduction

Decent aftermarket speakers usually have compostite-fiber spiders, composite cones and rubber or at least decent quality foam surronds

Chris

7. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

my factory system in my 2003 Montecarlo SS rocks

8. js4x4

js4x4 1/2 ton status

dang man, your battin 1000 today....Audio forum? /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

hehe, I'm not green....so I'll STFU before I get in trouble /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

9. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

The decks aren't so bad it's just that, like was stated earlier, what's behind them is what sucks. I've had well camo'd thumpin systems that were great. What's cool is that no one steals a stock deck. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. js4x4

js4x4 1/2 ton status

...too late...

11. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

I thought it also had something to do with the fact that factory decks don't push enough juice to the speakers? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif A buddy of mine transformed the stock stereo in his Furd something or other simply by installing an amp.....

12. boggerless

yea, i couldn't do anthing right that day /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

13. boggerless

i was thinking about doing that. i HAD a sweet system in the jimmy but it was stolen /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif i'll ask in the right forum. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

14. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    The decks aren't so bad it's just that, like was stated earlier, what's behind them is what sucks. I've had well camo'd thumpin systems that were great. What's cool is that no one steals a stock deck. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    I agree, I have a couple of friends with new chevys and they use the stock deck to send the signals to their amps and are happy with them. I think it's the stock speakers, I have a deck in my 98 dually with stock speaks and it still basically sucks.

And yes technically the audio forum would be much better suited for this thread and I would be happy to move it there for you but I can't, not a thread out of the garage. /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

15. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Sending a signal from a stock deck to an amp will simply amplify the crappy, clipped signal that they put out. I tried it once. I took all that signal generator crap back and ended up with a nice Kenwood deck for my truck with 3 4.5 volt preouts for about $250 on clearance. Forget that idea.

Stock decks sound crappy for two main reasons:

1. They don't have enough power to put out a clear signal

2. The factory speakers are horrid and even if the deck puts out a good signal they're so distorted by crappy speaker design that it wouldn't even matter.

16. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    Sending a signal from a stock deck to an amp will simply amplify the crappy, clipped signal that they put out. I tried it once. I took all that signal generator crap back and ended up with a nice Kenwood deck for my truck with 3 4.5 volt preouts for about $250 on clearance. Forget that idea.

2. The factory speakers are horrid and even if the deck puts out a good signal they're so distorted by crappy speaker design that it wouldn't even matter.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Thats why i have $3K worth of hi end equipment in my K5 /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif, never said I was the one using a factory deck.

17. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    Thats why i have $3K worth of hi end equipment in my K5 /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif, never said I was the one using a factory deck.

[/ QUOTE ]

$3k worth of crap is overkill. I have less than $1k invested in my DD and I guarantee it sounds just as clean and clear as your $3k, "hey look at what brand I run" stuff. I look for sales, I'm not obsessed with any one brand, (I have Kenwood, Eclipse, Alpine, and a few others in one rig) and I NEVER pay full price for anything.

18. boggerless

no hard feelings?? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

19. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]

I have less than $1k invested in my DD and I guarantee it sounds just as clean and clear as your $3k, "hey look at what brand I run" stuff. I look for sales, I'm not obsessed with any one brand, (I have Kenwood, Eclipse, Alpine, and a few others in one rig) and I NEVER pay full price for anything.

[/ QUOTE ]Better be carefull what you guarantee. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif Oh, and I never said I payed full price for anything either. You are not going to get the sound quality from the cheaper brands vs. higher end equipment.

20. rjfguitar