Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

factory tach for 73 to 87

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sandawgk5, Oct 31, 2003.

1. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Hey guys first time posting. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif Does anyone know where or how to find a factory tach for a K5 I have an 87 which I dont think it was even offered, but my wiring diagrams for 87 show a tach. I have found a 2 on e-bay but not sure of the condition. Is a salvage yard my only other option or does chevy still have them at dealers for replacement parts. Any help would be appreciated. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

I'm not real sure about the last year for the tach, I have seen an 81 with one and heard of others as late as 85. I'm pretty sure they have been discontinued by GM so that's a no-go. You can watch the for Sale forum here as they pop up occaisionaly but most are for the early font which will not match your existing speedo (cosmetic only).

I have never bought anything from them but there is a company called TachMan that sells and/or refurbishes(sp?) them, you might try them.

3. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

You may even want to try looking at the C-40,50,60 series GM trucks. Some of them had tachs and more plentyful in the 1981 on up style with the newer fonts.
    One problem might be that those trucks were all bottom end so the tachs do not read very high - I think most of them red line at 4000 RPM or so .
    Another thought might be to try using a tach out of a 1982 through 1992 Camaro .
    Good luck and welcome , Tom

4. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

There were two different styles that were offered and changed when the body style changed some in '81. The tach is the same but the style of the numbers changed to match the newer guages. I have an older style in my '82 and it lookes fine. It replaces the fuel guage with then moves over to where the clock sits. I had to do some wiring work to get mine to work as I did not have the correct circuit plastic panel for the guages. It seems to work just fine for me.

Finding one in the Junkyard would be a real find as they are popular stuff.

5. tarheel

tarheel Registered Member

try these guys-if thet don't have it...k5's probably didn't come with 'em. lmc

6. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

LMC doesn't off the tach itself on the printed circut sheet and some of the related fuel guages.

7. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Thanks for the help so far but lmc I had no luck with I am begining to believe my only option is a salvage yard. There are several here in socal. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif