Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Factory tach for 87??????

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 87Blzr, Jul 21, 2000.

1. 87Blzr

87Blzr 1/2 ton status

Did they ever put a factory tach in the 87 or years close to the 87 that would have the same look? Wondering if I am looking for something that they didn't make. I have a older style tach dash cluster that I would like to get rid of as a partial trade one way or another if someone comes across one for my Blazer. Anyway this isn't the parts forum but I am wondering if they did make a tach for the 87

87 K5 Siverado, 68 SS 396 Camaro

2. Steve_87K5

Steve_87K5 1/2 ton status

I have a tach in my '87 K5. The part number is GM 25054251 I paid $209.00 at the dealer.
    My '87 did not come with the tach, I added it later. I had to do some minor plastic
    hacking. It was easy. I am interested in a tach for my '83. Would yours fit? Please get back
    to me with the price. Thanks.

SteveB

3. 87Blzr

87Blzr 1/2 ton status

Steve, was the tach you bought proper for 87? I only ask because I want it to look like a factory install. What did you do about a gas guage? Did you buy that from GM also? The tach dash cluster I have is for the older models (mid seventies I think) The whole clusters are interchangable but the look of the guages changed through the years. I didn't really want to get rid of the cluster I have until I have my Blazer is all squared away with a factory tach and gas guage. Thanks though

87 K5 Siverado, 68 SS 396 Camaro

4. Steve_87K5

yes, the tach I have was bought from the local dealer and looks correct. Everything matches. The only hacking I had to do was on the light green plastic that is behind the cluster. I had to saw off about 1/8" from some of the plastic posts that stick out because the tach sits a little bit deper than the gas ga. I have a Cyberdyne gas gauge (digital) which I mounted where the 4x4 idiot light was. It was a real fiddly job and if I had to do it again I'd get the tach-dash gas gauge that would fit where the useless clock was. The '80-something Chevy Malibus also had a mini gas gauge that might work in there. I really wanted a tach that didn't look like a wart on the dash and it is worth the money IMHO (dealer cheaper then LMC)

SteveB

5. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

I have been thinking about doing the same thing. Does the tach you got go where the gas gauge was and did you get a gas gauge for the circle for the clock or is it even available? I want to do this too but I also want it to look stock.

90K5

6. Udy

Udy Registered Member

I saw a guy at Carlisle Pa swap meet who sells the complete gauge cluster with the gas gauge in the lower left hole. I think he wanted around $200. They looked nice. I would have bought one but I have a '91 with the electric vehicle speed sensor. I would have to get a 208 transfer case with provisions for a cable. Send me an e-mail (check my profile) and I will reply with the phone #. I'm not sure if I can post someones # here?

7. Steve_87K5

Udy...there is an inline electronic speed sensor which mounts in series with the speedometer cable. It is used with the GearVendor overdrive. The vehicle speed sensor on my '87 is a module on the speedometer head. Maybe one of these 2 ways could be of help. The tach dash cluster for $200 sounds like a good deal. Please email me the guys name...THANKS!

SteveB

8. Udy

Udy Registered Member

Not sure if I'm aloud to do this here but he's in the pttsburgh area of PA. His # is (724)628-2905. His name is Terry. Tell him you heard of him at a Carlisle Event this spring.