Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Factory tach stopped working

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by zach78k5, Aug 9, 2003.

1. zach78k5

zach78k5 1/2 ton status

I pulled my driveline to have it balanced and after reinstalling i noticed that my factory tach is not working. is it electric? where does the wire go. I assume i accidentally disconnected something. thanks

2. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

You have a tach? is it a diesel? do you have a little gas guage in the fourth hole on the left? /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

85K5 3/4ton,14boltFF,10bolt,9"lift,35"boggers,16.5x14welds, big horse 406SBC/700R4 /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

3. zach78k5

zach78k5 1/2 ton status

not a diesel but my gas guage is on the corner on the left. I think that is quite rare. until i saw this blazer i did not know that they came stock with a tach.

4. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

They don't, thats something custom ordered from the factory.

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Nope, back then it wasn't "custom". You just had to check the correct box on the order form, pay the extra $100 or so, and your truck would arrive with a factory tach in the dash. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I had a '77 that had a factory tach. The tach didn't work when I bought the truck. I found a condensor mounted on the firewall, near the brake booster, that had one lead broken. I fixed the broken lead and the tach worked again. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif That was about 22 years ago, but if I remember right, it was connected between the tach feed from the distributor and ground. So just follow the wire that comes from the "tach" connector on the HEI and see where it leads to.

6. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

Out of curiosity, does anybody make a replacement tach for that option? I was hoping to install a tach in that spot and move the fuel guage at some point but it seems everybody makes all the replacement guages except that tach.

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Nope, and they aren't listed in the GM parts book I've got either. ('85-86)

Don't know as anyone sells replacement tachs, only repairs them.

8. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

9. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

the parts truck im buying has the factory tach.... i cant wait to get this truck.. i hated having such a big fuel guage!!!!!