Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

factory tach

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by K5Chris, Mar 1, 2005.

1. K5Chris

K5Chris 1/2 ton status

so...... did any 90-91's come with a factory tach cluster??? i dont really just want to just stick one on the coluumn, but i guess i'll have to cause i dont think they had any. i dont think i can swap to the older cluster since i have the electronic speedo.

2. mechted

mechted 1 ton status Premium Member

my understanding is that 81 (or maybe it was 80) models had them (same print on guages as later models)... and after that they were special order only for very few vehicles.
    so you can:
    a) go find a 1981 tach and fuel guage (ebay - 150 to 250 for whole cluster)
    b) swap to a 70's cluster... deal with VSS issues
    c) aftermarket guage

3. K5Chris

K5Chris 1/2 ton status

can i stick the factory guages into my cluster? i thought you had to swap the whole cluster?

4. mechted

mechted 1 ton status Premium Member

well, the screws go in the same location...
    but you have to get creative with the wiring
    it shouldnt be too hard rewiring gas gauge and making a new set of leads for the tach

5. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

If you are crafty enough, you can do some fancy work with a dremel to make it all work. You will need a factory tach, small fuel gauge, and a 78 + tach's circuit sheet.

Just disconnect the wires from the harness that go to the fuel gauge, extend them, and run them directly to the leads on the gauge, and hook up the tach as reccomended. This should mean that your electronic speedometer is not interfered with :)

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Ditto on tach install factory...it looks like '81 may have been last year for factory tach...it's not listed in the '85-88 parts manuals for sure.

The tach replaces the big fuel gauge, and runs off of a seperate wiring harness. The bolt "holes" are in place for the tach though. Cut a hole in the plastic behind the big fuel gauge, bolt it in, and run your wiring.

Small fuel gauge will sit in the lower left gauge hole, just need to splice into the copper in the printed circuit to run it. Don't need a tach PCB.

7. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I guess you could cut up the non-tach printed circuit with an exacto knife...

8. K5Chris

K5Chris 1/2 ton status

i'm going to figure something out..... i'll rewire the whole damn thing if i have to.... i just need to get a donar cluster..... and i'll post up how i do it.

i like the '81 cluster.... it's got the orange trim, and the symbols instead of labels that matches my cluster the best..... so.... guess i'll try to find an '81 cluster.