Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Factory Tach

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by slowburb, Jan 22, 2006.

1. slowburb

slowburb Newbie

Did any 73-78 trucks come with factory tachs and if they did what did they receive their signal from. I have a 71 350 with the older distributor and crane fireball ignition so if they ran off of the HEI I am out of luck.

I am trying to keep the inside original and have managed to tuck away some smaller guages and do not want to have a tach mounted in plain sight. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

'73-78 did come from factory with tachs (as an option, not too many were opted that way, I wouldn't say it's rare, but it's definatly not common). '75 up came with HEI and that's where tach hooks to. If no HEI, just hook to negative side of coil, IIRC (that's all the HEI tach pin is)

3. Cornfield creations

Cornfield creations 1/2 ton status

my 79 came with a factory tach, you can usually find them on ebay, but they don't go for anything less than $100 even in non working condition

4. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I got my complete gauge cluster with tach for $85 shipped off of ebay. The tach was off but I had it repaired and changed to a 7K tach for $40 from a guy on 69-72 chevy board. Works flawlessly now:D.

Ira