Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Factory Tachometers

Discussion in '1983-2005 S-Series models' started by jac6695, May 2, 2002.

1. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

I need to know how to convert factory s-10 V-6 tachometers to work with a v-8. I know it is possible, but cannot find any information. Anyone know?

2. ChevBlazin

ChevBlazin 1/2 ton status

Does it need to be "converted"? Aftermarket ones all hook up the same on v8's 6's and 4 bangers. Does the factory one hook to the distributor? It will on the v8 also (well, I know it does on HEI)

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

It's not the hookup that's different, it's the number of spark pulses per revolution. A V-8 has 4 spark pulses per crank revolution, while a V-6 has 3 and a 4-banger has 2. Aftermarket tachs have a internal switch that you set so the the tach counts the spark pulses correctly.

4. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

Thank you HarryH3, that is exactly the problem. I have only seen one publication explaining how to modify the tach for the v-8. That is in the book from www.jagsthatrun.com. I really don't want to spend $25 to solve this problem. I was hoping someone on here might know.

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Check out http://pub95.ezboard.com/bs10extremists . There are lots of guys on there that have done the V8 swap. They may have the answer that you're looking for. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif