Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Factory Tow hooks

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 84k5, Aug 8, 2001.

1. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

Will the factory tow hooks bolt right on my 84, or do I have to drill holes? What years were they available on? Thanks.

Brian
    <a target="_blank" href=http://84k5.coloradok5.com>84k5.coloradok5.com</a>

2. 4x4blazer

4x4blazer 1/2 ton status

I've got one and a half tow hooks (one was snapped) on my '84. They were on it when I bought it but I never really thought about weather or not they where factory. I just assumed they were, as the rest of the truck was when I bought it.
    Just look under there, you should be able to tell.

3. RedDwarf

RedDwarf 1/2 ton status

Man, you are in for a hell of a job. They will bolt on, but the hooks and the bumper use the same bolts and it's a pain to get them off.

Do yourself a favor: get a set of aftermarket hooks (with the spring clips to hold the straps) and drill the holes in the bottom of the frame.

Lift It, Lock It, LIVE IT!!!

4. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

All factory front tow hooks are interchangable from 81 to 91.

I have a pair of hooks, BRAND SPANKING NEW, with the bolts, nuts, etc. I got it new from the GM dealership for $75.00. Interested?

<font color=blue>Daddy told me while learning to pee......"if you shake it more than twice, then you are playing with it!!!"</font color=blue>

5. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

I've had problems braking the bottom bolt off on mine, it put a nice notch in my bumper.

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd

6. thatK30guy

I did that too! [​IMG]

I was pulling a friend out with a stretch strap and got a little too hard a pull and BAM! Got out to inspect what happened and found the hook sticking straight out of the bumper. It broke the bottom bolt and sheared it thru the bumper, just sticking out. I got a BFH and pounded the hook back with a new grade 8 bolt back in it and then took the BFH and beat the bumper back to flush.

I was not too happy, and the friend did not offer a new or replacement bumper!! [​IMG]

<font color=blue>Daddy told me while learning to pee......"if you shake it more than twice, then you are playing with it!!!"</font color=blue>

7. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

I bought a set of aftermarket ones, but they did not fit between the spring hanger and bumper. Wes, I am going to search the junkyard first, I'll let you know if I can't find anything. Thanks.

Brian
    <a target="_blank" href=http://84k5.coloradok5.com>84k5.coloradok5.com</a>

8. thebigdaddyof2

thebigdaddyof2 1/2 ton status

So, Pete and Wes, you guys have broken the bottom bolts... Has anyone else had any further damage when using the factory tow hooks? I know Keith Deal and his brother talked about some serious damage from when the tow hook let loose on their rig. Does anybody think if the 2 bolts that attach the factory tow hooks to the frame are replaced with grade 8 hardware, would they then be stout? Just thinking out loud again.

thebigdaddyof2

9. 1986Blazer

1986Blazer 1/2 ton status

I've got a pair of factory tow hooks off my 86 K5.....My ranchhand bumper will not allow me to install them again. So.....if anyone wants them - make a reasonalble offer and they are yours! They are factory with all the origial bolts and nuts.

Chris

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/keywestk5/KeyWestK5.html>http://www.geocities.com/keywestk5/KeyWestK5.html</a>
    So I says to him, I said, "get your own monkey."
    1986 K5, 350 GM Crate, 700R4, NP208

10. blazbrnc

blazbrnc 1/2 ton status

I got my '79 stuck bad in a water hole. A full size Chevy strapped up to one of my tow hooks and gave it hell. <a target="_blank" href=http://wsphotofews.excite.com/029/P2/wm/Zv/UQ47979.jpg>http://wsphotofews.excite.com/029/P2/wm/Zv/UQ47979.jpg</a> Not only did my tow hook go flying but so did the first six inches of my frame. The bolts ripped through the frame. The front bumper was wasted also. No biggie as far as the damage, I was just glad nobody got hurt.

'79 K5, '79 Suburban, '76 Br**co, 77 K20
    '99 BB 4x4 Suburban to tow more junk home

11. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

I broke a replacement bolt too. Its just not the greatest design. In situations where I'm really depending on the strap (such as winching up the waterfall at the end of Upper Helldorado with a snatch block), I've wrapped my tree saver around the spring hanger. Not the best idea, but better than falling backwards down the waterfall.

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs

12. dawson444

dawson444 1/2 ton status

Hey I forgot about that deal we had. Still interested? $30+shipping. I still got em.

Dawson
    Raleigh, NC

88 K5, 6" lift, 36" TSL Radials, 14 Bolt, Rancho 9012s

13. thebigdaddyof2

Anybody else with damage reports and/or a reliable way to attach a tow hook to the frame?

thebigdaddyof2

14. keith

keith 1/2 ton status

Okay, (2) damage reports. First was my brothers 90 burb. I was stuck real bad and he was pulling me out. (before the winch) and he was pulling and finally jerking with the front hook. It finally broke loose and bent the bumper and brushgaurd. I bought a 86 Blazer for parts and it was already broken on it too. Bumper was bent up. The deal is the hooks that run vertical are terrible!!! The ones that are parallel with the frame are okay. Mine didn't have them when I bought it.

79 Blazer 6"lift 38 SX's locked/4:56 <a target="_blank" href=http://www.keith.rockcrawler.com>www.keith.rockcrawler.com</a>

15. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

For those of us that have broken hooks, were you pulling w/a strap, chain, winch, or what, and were you using one or two hooks? I only have one, and have broken it w/a strap. I've also noticed that the tow hooks on our '89 Burb have a curve to them, unlike the straight one on my '83 K5. They work pretty well when using both of them.

The problem seems to be the design, it pivots off the top bolt and puts a ton of shear in the bottom bolt.

Pete

16. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

I have the ones with a curve in them also, they always worked great until last year at the Tierra del Sol Desert Safari. We brought a motorhome with us for the weekend, which my brother promptly got stuck in five minutes after we got there! [​IMG] So, we hooked up my Blazer with a strap to the hitch on the motorhome. Well, I turned on the lockers and proceeded to dig four large holes in the soft dirt. So, I drove forward out of the holes and repositioned myself to try again. Same thing, so decided to hook two jeeps up to the back of me. These were old CJs with healthy V8s. Well, we all spun our tires in unison at first. Then we decided to leave a bunch of slack and then give it the 'ol running start! As soon as the strap tightened, my left front tow hook sheared the bottom bolt off and tore upwards - it went right through my Warn bumper and got lodged up against the top of it. I had to drive over the tow strap to get it unlodged.
    So yes, the vertical ones will break! But I would consider my situation a bit extreme! [​IMG] Every other time I pull my friends out they work great (and believe me, I pull my buddy out with his 75 Furd F250 so much we might as well just be permanently attached! ha,ha) The hooks themselves are strong as hell, it's just too much shear force on that bottom bolt that does them in.

17. keith

keith 1/2 ton status

Ours was a crazy situation too. Me stuck in a creek with lockers front and rear and everyone else is open . Plus it was between a heep pulling me or the burb. And my brother had to snatch me like 8 times. He was hitting it so hard it was like getting rear ended. Plus I even had the skinny pedal to the floor!!

79 Blazer 6"lift 38 SX's locked/4:56 <a target="_blank" href=http://www.keith.rockcrawler.com>www.keith.rockcrawler.com</a>

18. thatK30guy

I think for GM to have those factory tow hooks and the grade 8 bolts fastened to the frame like that, they should have looked into an 'upgrade' to improve those breaks.

Such an improvement would be to switch those grade 8 bolts for something stronger, like grade 12 (I have heard of these, never seen one). Imagine the strength of a grade 12 bolt!!! [​IMG]

19. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

Actually, it would probably be worse than a grade 8 in this situation. A higher grade bolt is stronger in tension, but not in shear.

Keith, strap or chain?

Pete

20. thebigdaddyof2

Has anyone removed the factory tow hooks and replaced with the horizontal type? Red Dwarf, did you do this and did it work out well for you?

thebigdaddyof2