Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Failed Emissions, Any suggestions?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Lazydog, Mar 14, 2003.

1. Lazydog

Lazydog 1/2 ton status

This is the first time I failed emission since I installed the Cater AFB. I wouldn't worry about it to much except I failed kinda bad. Heres how it did:

Idle_________________Loaded
    =======================================================
    HC 142 (350) Pass_________687 (350) fail
    CO 3.99( 3.00) fail_______5.38 (4.00) fail

The numbers in the parenthesis is what I have to meet. Any suggestions? Thanks

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

New plugs and retard your timing to 4* and you'll be good to go.

3. Lazydog

Lazydog 1/2 ton status

Oh thats right, I set it to 12-16 deg. I bet thats it. I'll go check it now

4. Lazydog

Lazydog 1/2 ton status

I set the timing back. It seems to hesitate a little when I give it gas off idle. I want to make sure everyting is right so I pass on the retest, otherwise I will have to pay again.

5. MA87K5

MA87K5 1/2 ton status

Try a few bottles of dry gas and a 1/4 tank of super. That always worked for my carbed cars.

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    I set the timing back. It seems to hesitate a little when I give it gas off idle. I want to make sure everyting is right so I pass on the retest, otherwise I will have to pay again.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good. That's what they want. If it runs like shi* from overly-retarded timing, it'll probably pass emissions great.

I can make anything pass a sniffer by retarding the timing (even without cats, smog pump, EGR). It's the visual inspection in some states that's impossible to fake.

7. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I'm glad I've never had to deal with that crap. I've never had to have a Emissions test on any vechile I've ever owned.

8. pismorat

pismorat 1/2 ton status

Run 91 octane or higher, pour a bit of tranny fluid down the carb as someone keeps it running, the detergents clean everything out. And get it really hot before you take it in - like a freeway drive. Worked for me everytime. /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

9. Lazydog

Lazydog 1/2 ton status

Hello all, well I readjusted the timing and only failed the CO's Loaded standard. It was 3.51, supposed to be 3.00. I'm still a little pissed since I've never had this much trouble before. I used to have a Quadrajet that never passed the first time. When I installed the Carter a couple years ago it passed with flying colors. Maybe its time for a rebuild? How often do carters need rebuild? I know thats a "depends on the situation" kind of question. Thanks.

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Did you change your spark plugs?

11. Lazydog

Lazydog 1/2 ton status

Yeah I did. I actually did it before the first emissions test. A friend of Mine told me of this fuel addative that is guaranteed to pass emissions tests. You add it to a full tank of gas and drive it until its empty then refill and take the test. Has anyone tried this stuff before?

12. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

a) do a tune up
    b) make sure your engine is good and warmed up before the test, get there right when they open so ur engine doesnt cool off while you wait in line.
    c) use low octane gas, burns more completely
    d) try some of that "you WILL pass emmisions" gas additive.

j

13. BlaznRebel

BlaznRebel 1/2 ton status

don't know i never tried it but mabe some one heard of putting alittle alcohol in the gas to make it burn clean. Like i said i never tried it though.

14. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Last time I went threw emissions I was told to put some rubbing alcohol in the gas tank. I put in 2 bottles on 1/2 tank. I also ran my truck on the highway about 10 miles in direct drive to keep the RPM up to heat up my cats. I sat in line at the emissions place for awhile. When I was next up in line I sat there with my engine pushing 2500-3500 RPM in neutral to get some heat back in the cats. I passed with no problems. I was also running my timing at 4* BTDC or even less advance.