Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Failed Emissions....help

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Impex, May 14, 2003.

1. Impex

Impex 1/2 ton status

here is the low down. failed last year took it to my mechanic, he hooked it up to his sniffer adjusted some things so it would pass, i went through for my 2nd time and passed came back to him and he adjusted back to run good.(i don't know much about carbs so thats why i paid) Now knowing that and not wanting to pay 60 bux this year here is what i did, i bumped the idle to about 800-900 ran the tank really low and added 2 bottles of rubbing alcohol and 91 gas to about half tank. passed loaded but failed the idle. did bumping the idle hurt me cause thats all i failed on?? its a 78 k10 edelbrock carb with true duals thanks guys!!

here is the test results let me know if the scan is to hard to read and ill re scan it /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[​IMG]

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Did you get your cat good and hot before the test? Also, bumping the idle up usually helps pass the test. I don't remember the exact reason why, but it does.

3. Impex

Impex 1/2 ton status

hossbaby50: i don't have to worry about cats i dont have them /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

also wanted to add that i did a tune up not the long ago, so most of that should be good.

4. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Where is your timing set? You might retard the timing some to help on the next test.

5. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

my uncle did somthing to our 78' chevy K10 4x4 that made it pass, he adjust the carb some, probly leaned it out a bit and bumpped up the idle, then when the test is all done adjust it all back to where it was so you get your power back /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif.
    also they say to run low octane gas, and might wanna try some emmission pass stuff like berrymans that they sell at autozone or carquest might sell somthin. good luck , i hope i dont have to deal with this on my 87.

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

6. GM Man

GM Man 1/2 ton status

Lowest octane gas helps it pass, it burns easier.

7. MOTORHEAD

MOTORHEAD Registered Member

Check your timing as well. retard it a tad and see what happens. Have you ever replaced the cat? If not you might want to check into a new one (summit, around $100 for a Catco high flow). Is it a stock Q-jet carb you're running? I'm not sure if you can change the jets on smog-carbs but that might be something you might want to look into, knock it down a jet size if you can. I found a good tune-up, new plugs and reset the timing, change the oil really help me out. How many miles on the engine?

8. MOTORHEAD

MOTORHEAD Registered Member

Sorry just saw you stated you have a edelbrock carb. check out the jets your running in that thing and kick it down a size or two. This will lean it out for inspection and then change it back.