Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

failed emissions... troubleshooting help

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by irishraptor87, Jan 15, 2007.

1. irishraptor87

irishraptor87 1/2 ton status

May 25, 2006
    hey guys hopefully you can give me a hand here

my 1986 chevy k30 was put thru the CT emissions test so that i can register it, unfortunatly it failed

a little info, 350 with bolt ons, intake, edlebrock carb

we had to open the choke so that it would work properly, runs like **** on first start up, but like a charm when warmed, one of the passenger vaccume lines had to be plugged going to the carb so that it would run properly

it sounds very good and i have gotten it into good shape, been workin on it for almost 2 months it seems

i failed 2 parts of the CT emissions testing

the gas cap was failed for leaking, which i assume i can just go pick up a plastic gas cap at wallyworld, problem solved

but my idle was also failed.. thus being stuck

the max idle mode limit is 450 (HC [PPM])
    my truck was measured at 962

the other parts of the idle mode were perfectly fine, IE co% and RPM

i dont honestly know what (HC [PPM]) means

i am not sure what they are measuring and i dont know how to fix it

a friend of mine mentioned that the problem may have to do with the fact that i dont have cats on my exaust, im not honestly sure

any help would be appreciated
  2. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Oct 28, 2003
    HC is Hydro Carbons ( unburnt fuel mainly) With no cats HC will be high put cats on it and they will drop significantly. PPM is Parts Per Million so for every 1 million air sizes there are 962 sizes of hydro carbons if that makes since. Your running rich could also be a culprit of the high HC.