Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Failed #%$@$ emissions!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by seslick77, Oct 14, 2002.

1. seslick77

seslick77 1/2 ton status

Finally got the /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif running and drivable... Passed the visual inspection with the state guy no prob.!! Took it to get sniffer done..big friggin fail!! CO at idle read zero..at 2500rpm was reading over 4!! Max is 1.5. Guessing I'm runnin rich. Need your guys comments if I'm on the right track to fix it.

Thinkin I should run hotter plugs, rejet the Q-jet, and do something with timing. Where I'm sitting now: Timing is 4' BTDC as per Mitchell spec. manual, plugs R44T (I think), jets and rods I haven't checked yet (was too busy crying in the corner in the garage) /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif I rebuilt the carb, put new intake on, and it has brand new cats. on true duals. The mixture screws on the front are only turned out from seat a quarter turn. Also driveablity sucks!! Dang thing acts like it has no power... When I get in it the secandaries just bog and the truck don't go nowhere. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

Thanks in advance, Sam /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

2. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

move to a state that doesn't have emissions- VT's cool, just turn on your lights, honk your horn, and head back out with a new sticker. Or, if your like me and over height, no parking brake, and no horn- just pay an extra $10 to the guy at the station, and don't bother doing anything other than putting on a new sticker.

sounds to me like your timing is off- mine was running bout the same as you- did complete tune up, plugs, wires, cap, rotor etc... ran about 75% better, fixed the timing- runs 100% better.

Brandy

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I'd think timing should be bearer to 8-10 BTDC. Bump it up a bit and see if it pings under load. I set my timing by ear, keep advancing until it pings under a light load and then back it off a hair.

Rene

4. Suffergauge

Suffergauge 1/2 ton status

Here is a simple and cheap solution.... rubbing alcohol. Top off your tank with the highest octane gas from the local station then pour a bottle into the tank. Drive it to the emissions tester and collect your passing cert. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

5. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Hmmm...I thought the magic potion for passing emissions was low octane gas. The idea being that the stuff burns so fast that the combustion is more complete. That bottle sold with a guarantee to pass says only to drive right to the emissions check with it and drive very lightly. I always thought it was to avoid pinging from the low octane.

This could start a whole discussion over again, though.

6. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

If you have problems that can't seem to be solved email me and you can use my address out here in Lincoln County. I live by Limon, Colorado, we have no emmission testing out here. Your insurance will drop like a banshee too...

John