Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Failed emmisions today, woohoo!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by CrazeeBush, Jun 21, 2001.

1. CrazeeBush

CrazeeBush 1/2 ton status

title says it all, here's my readings: 478 ppm HC & 6.03% CO

I'm allowed 400 ppm HC & 4.00% CO

I need toi know what I need to adjust on the carb. I know the ignition is fine. I have a new distributor with good plugs and wires. I gutted the computer controls, and I have an Edelbrock 1406 carb on a 305ci motor. I was thinking I needed to jet the carb down a bit. When I went through today I had my idle way up there, and when I got home I idled it down and played with the idle mixture some. Anyone have any advice? I just have to pass, I could care less if I pass well or not.. [​IMG]

-BuSH
    I'm a dislectic agnostic. I believe in a higher being, his name is DOG. [​IMG]

2. CrazeeBush

Oh, would adjusting my timing have any drastic affect on the emmisions readings? I think stock was 4deg adv and I have it advanced 8 degrees.

-BuSH

3. donimator

donimator 1/2 ton status

Go down to your local small airport. Buy 5 gallons of AV gas. Mix it with 5 gallons regular unleaded. Go down and retest. The machines cant read the mixture too well. I guratee you will pass with flying colors. It worked for me.

73 3/4 ton Chevy. 383 stroker, TH350, NP 205, 14bolt FF(Detroit), Dana 44(limited Slip), 6in. lift, 36x 14.5 super swampers

4. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    Having secound thoughts on your ignition ?
    Yes timming can have a big(gross) effect on em-readings.
    If I was betting, I'd say you can pass the Hydocarbons just by retarding you timming to near stock for your application.
    Good luck

5. CrazeeBush

Naw, I'm happy with the non computer comtrolled HEI. The old one was in shitty shape, and the truck has never ran better. I'm having second thoughts on my carb choice, but we'll see. I leaned the truck out some, cut the idle down to 750 and I'll adjust the timing tomorrow before I go back. Maybe I'll get the same guy. It'd been even better if I'd just pulled out of the bay, adjusted the timing and the the idle mixture and drove back through and passed, lol. Anyway, I'll keep ya'll posted...

-BuSH

6. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

My grandma's car just failed smog due to the timing was messed up... couldn't find the timing mark on the fly wheel so it couldn't be adjusted. We're having a time with it finding the correct timing because the mark is gone.... stupid smog laws... ARGH! But yeah it can affect and can cause you to fail...

"Suck Fumes Ford Boy"
    "I love my country, I fear my government"
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html>http://www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html</A>

7. CV202

CV202 1/2 ton status

I agree with the AVgas solution, if you can't get a hold of some try this when your tank is low. 2 bottles dry gas, 1 bottle injector cleaner and some Outlaw 108 octane booster. Then top off your tank with Ultra 94 and bring it for a Texas tuneup. (90mph sideways w/ your head on fire) to blow all the junk out of it. Before you shut it down bring it through for your smog check. Usually the biggest cause of failure on smog is not letting the motor warm up before the test (or it's a Pinto in diguise). The above worked to pass Massachusetts emissions (which I think is the same as CA), so good luck.

Why do people keep calling it a Bronco!!!!! [​IMG]

8. CrazeeBush

well, I got up this morning, adjusted the timing back to factory specs, leaned out the carb and idled it down a bit. Feels like it barely running, but it runs smooth still. Gonna go grab some octance boost and take off and blow this sucker out.

-BuSH

9. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I agree, set the timing back to specs, but factory specs may get funky if you changed around the factory equipment. And definately use the chemicals and drive for an hour before the test!!

After 3 or 4 fails (on an ancient v6 I used to own), the guys in a shop I used once were beyond cool. The inspector was also determined not to let a vehicle fail on his watch, LOL. Maybe you could trade your guy a case of beer for this:

Open the hood, position a large shop fan to blow on the motor itself and crank it to high (the fan). Get a wet rag, and wrap, I mean, position it in a certain relation to the probe. Position the probe near, I mean, in the exhaust pipe, and perform the test. Make sure they clean the probe first (you may want to not notice if they happen to forget to leak test the probe...).

Good luck!! I'm probably gonna be in the same boat next month when the previous owners sticker is up... Hopefully I'll be in my new PA house, where only a safety is required and not smog yet...

Ratch
    **<A target="_blank" HREF=http://k5.8m.com>http://k5.8m.com</A> What more is there to life?**

10. CrazeeBush

DoH! Went again and failed it for a second time. Here's the specs this time: 418 ppm HC and .26% CO

Once again I'm allowed 400 ppm HC and 4% CO..

Think I should just knock the timing back some more and go with it? I drove the crap out of the truck today before I went.

-BuSH

11. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I have had 2 failures
    -Bad o2 sensor
    -bad catalytic converter

Dave

BEER: It's not just for breakfast anymore.

12. Executioner

Your HC's did not change that much, but your CO made a drastic change !
    Again I bet its in the ignition system, but if you leaned it out too much you could be into a lean mis-fire.
    Is you ideal speed around 800 rpm ?

13. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Idle speed in gear (auto) is supose to be 600-650. It sounds like your running rich at idle to me. Might be choke related. Try backing off the choke. Go get a Vacume gage and adjust the idle mixture. Find a central vac port. get the engine warm. Let it idle. adjust the mixture screws till you get the highest vac on the gage. repeat for the other screw. Since your pulling the most vac it's the most effecient use of fuel so you know your getting a full burn. Then give both a 1/4 turn in. This will lean out your idle. Souldn't get you into a Diesel problem adjusting it like that, well it won't on a quad...I don't know on the POS Eddelsnot.
    Now there are different tests. If they are using rollers then it should show the RPM of the test. If the test is above 1500 RPM your EGR should be cutting in and if you got the EGR dissconnected or hooked up wrong that may be your problem. and you need to fix that. The carb should have a timmed vac port fo the EGR so you need to dig out the instructions and it should tell you what one to use.
    Get the truck HOT before you go for the test. Converters need heat to work and our trucks the converter is pretty far back. If your driving a 1/4 mile down the road then your not hot. Go run it down the hwy for a few miles and pull in for the test.
    You should have got the 1904 and you wouldn't be having this problem. It's the right carb for the engine.

It's not my damn planet monkey boy!
    Grim-Reaper

14. CrazeeBush

hah! I got it, 3rd times a charm I guess. I backed the timing off some more and leaned it out some more. I went through with 315ppm HC and .01% CO.

-BuSH

15. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

You get the headers and the exhaust all worked out? Im at work right now. If your not busy this afternoon stop by and let me see. I should be home by 3

Steve Fox for President, 2004.
    Jimi Hendrix was re-incarnated in 1990 as my....JIMI
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com>http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com</A>

16. Executioner

Now the fun begins !
    How to tune for performance and economy and keep our air clean.
    It can be done, but you have to want too, its not just gonna fall out of the sky.

17. CrazeeBush

Headers and exhaust are all on. But I have header leaks! DoH! The heads are a squarish port, where the headers port is round. apparently all cheapo headers have round ports. Anyway, I put on the gaskets for the square port and like we all learned in school, the circle peg won't go in the square hole. I'm gonna get some gaskets with round holes and see what comes of it.

-BuSH

18. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Wait. How come your limits are so low? Mine is alot newer than yours adn my limits are 900 @ 4% according to my last marta. ????[confused]

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com>http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com</A>

19. CrazeeBush

900ppm? That's BS! anyway, I got it to pass, that's all I care about. now all I want to do is get rid of the header leaks and I'll be in good shape..

-BuSH

20. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

[​IMG]SIKE[​IMG] Just kiddin' Man mine ran a 53 / .01
    And last uyear it was 190 (i think) / 1.20 (i think) I cant realy say of the top of my head.
    [​IMG] Like we learned in school?[​IMG] I missed that class or something[​IMG] Oh thats right. thats the day I skipped to take my pinto out 2 wheelin in the middle of Percy Warner Park. [​IMG]
    Get the best damn gasket they make. Save your time for something else. I got my welder. If it keeps leaking, Hell we'll weld those bitches on. [​IMG] [​IMG]