Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Failed My Emission

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by BurbLover, Apr 16, 2004.

1. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

Well, I got my K5 emissions tested on Thur & it barely failed. The mechanic recommended I replace the fuel fliter assembly as it's leaking out fuel & in air. Also recommeded I clean ou the crank case pressure thingy and replace the return lines as they are all leaking fuel out and air in as well. The injectors are also leaking, but that won't affect emissions, so due to expense, they'll have to keep leaking for now. Well, maybe I can get everything fixed this weekend and retest on Monday.

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

That sucks...might consider getting the injectors rebuilt at the least. I got mine done through Accurate diesel (www.accuratediesel.com) and the price was very reasonable and the turn around time was quick.

My injectors leaked too, plus I think they were 'cracking' at way too low a pressure and not spraying a fine mist anymore.

Rene

3. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Fill it up with biodiesel. Cuts your emissions significantly. Make sure you air filter is clean/new.

4. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Fill it up with biodiesel. Cuts your emissions significantly. Make sure you air filter is clean/new.

[/ QUOTE ]

What's biodiesel & how do I use it. Also, where could I get this. I will put a new filter on as well. Plan on doing this stuff tomorrow so I can retest on Monday.

5. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

6. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

Bummer Mark.... Better luck Monday....

Hey, can't seem to get ahold of that guy with the engine.... I will keep trying.

John

7. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the site info Rene. I replaced the return lines, the filter & modual, and cleaned it up a bit. Leak that was comiong from the filter area appears to be gone. This was biggest concern before. Gonna try on Monday for emissions. Wish me luck!! Also, I wish I looked at the site before I bought the return line stuff. Kit through Napa was 70-ish and a make-up kit through Chevy (lines) were 9 apiece (need 8) plus two caps. Kit through the Accurate Diesel was only 22. Also, there injector set is 190. Not too bad. If I fail this time, I may just park it until I can afford the injectors. Otherwise, I'll either sell it or parts it out.

8. tRustyK5

Actually...injectors for your truck would be 148. the short injectors are 190.

Good luck with the re-test!

Rene

9. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

BTW, is there supposed to be a cat on my exhaust system? I just looked under today and there is dual exhaust from the manifold, but only mufflers, no cat. Just wondering.

10. tRustyK5

No factory cat that I'm aware of...AFAIK they got straight duals from the factory.

Rene

11. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

Thanks. Since I just put one on my wife's Burb for almost $300, I was hoping I didn't need to buy two more /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

12. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

WOOOOHOOOOO!!! I passed, barely, but I passed. Max is 40% opacity. I got 36%. This gives me a year to replace my injectors and get the fuel system flushed out. Might also flush the oil system due to how bad it was when I changed it.

Now, time to install lift, 1-ton axles, SM465/205.... /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

13. tRustyK5

The oil will always look like that...it's a 6.2 trademark /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Congrats on the pass! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

Rene

14. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    The oil will always look like that...it's a <font color="red">Diesel</font> trademark

[/ QUOTE ]