Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

failed PA inspection....

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by meatloafK5, Dec 19, 2001.

1. meatloafK5

meatloafK5 Registered Member

I just recieved a call from my mechanic about the inspection on my truck....and it failed! I actually was not really surprised because my rust bucket does still need some more work. Long story short.....there was too much rust and of course the holes in the floor and cab supprts and rockers. The guy is a pretty decent mechanic, I use him for inspections because he is honest, nor does he overcahrge when things need to be done. He told me that my Blazer was like every other of its age around here....rusted, but very mechanically sound. I just ordered a bunch of replacement panels but have not decided to order a new floor insert yet. I found one at US Body. Anyone else have had this problem? Is it easier to rivet or screw/bolt these panels on?

"stupid people are simply alive because it's illegal to kill them..."

84 K5 Blazer 305(for now) many mods coming....including a 350

2. 1986Blazer

1986Blazer 1/2 ton status

You failed inspection because of too much rust....damn. Florida does not even have inspections.....If rust was a failing condition, half the buckets in Key West would be condemned.

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/keywestk5/KeyWestK5.html>http://www.geocities.com/keywestk5/KeyWestK5.html</a>
    So I says to him, I said, "get your own monkey."
    1986 K5, 350 GM Crate, 700R4, NP208

3. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

You would be amazed at what a little duct tape and undercoating can do. Mine is not rotted that bad but it had 2 spots I had to play with to make sure it would pass inspection. At least now I have untill Feb. 2003 to fix it the right way. As far as the new panels I would weld them on but pop rivits work fine. Just make sure to seal everything up good so it wont rust again. If you are doing cab supports those should be welded.

See <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Waynes-Toy>Project Mighty Mouse</a> here.
    <font color=blue>Wayne<font color=blue>
    <font color=blue>Happy Trails<font color=blue>

4. meatloafK5

I should clarify that....it was because of the many large holes caused by the rust.

5. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Oh, that bad.[​IMG]

See <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Waynes-Toy>Project Mighty Mouse</a> here.
    <font color=blue>Wayne<font color=blue>
    <font color=blue>Happy Trails<font color=blue>

6. OneInTheSun

OneInTheSun 1/2 ton status

Yup, I had to deal with the same thing last year. Gotta love the Salt/Rust Belt. The only thing that was keeping out the weather in a bunch of areas in the bed and rear floor was the carpet. I'm really surprised I never put my foot through 'em.
    As for repair, I would have loved to put in all brand new GM parts - but I was realistic about it. There's no way I was going to spend extra cash on a vehicle that I beat the bejeezus out of. A friend does body work for a living so he just welded up (quite a bit) of thick sheetmetal he had lying around. Sealed it top and bottom. Got new (generic) insulation and threw the carpet in. Looks good as new - for a fraction of the cost.
    The replacement bed is your call. I went with what made the most sense to me. Being a poor college kid at the time factored in quite a bit too.

<font color=blue>Rob
    85 K5</font color=blue>
    [​IMG] 24 beers in a case, 24 hours in a day - Coincidence?

7. big d

big d 1/2 ton status

i feal your pain man. my ride was the same way when i got it, ( the body was rusted loose and setting on top of the tranny ).if i would of knew the extent of rust in the beginning i wouldnt have purchsed it. gm anti-rust procedures for these series of vehicles must have been miserabley unsuccessful. the weird thing is all my exterior body panels where beautiful, only the floor area front to back was wasted. i did purchase new doors due to dents, new front fenders due to someone cutting them out for bigger tires and all new floor panels all through jc whitney (cheapest i can find). some people complain about after market panel fitment but a good bodyman should know how to address this. i was happy for the most part with the end product. hope this helps.

darrenolander
    galva,il.
    1979chevycheyenneblazer
    350/350
    gettin'down on all fours, 4 a'little
    x4 play !

8. meatloafK5

Hey guys, thanks for the support! I got my Blazer home and the mechanic was right....lots of holes! However I just recieved my JC Whitney body parts today. I got new rocker panels, new inner fender skirts, cab supports, outer floor panels, and now I need to go get a rivet gun! I don't have any experience with a welder, but I was told that I can put all these parts on with rivets or screws, except for the cab supports. I'm even getting the wife into this project and she even likes it! HA! I converted another one!

9. Strahan

Strahan 1/2 ton status

I had the same problem with my Nova. Funny thing is I was planning on taking a trip in the next few days and I really needed my Nova to be legal. There was a decent sized rust hole in the passenger quarter which failed it, so just to get it passed I put some wire mesh behind the hole for support and used joint compound in lieu of bondo :) Once it dried I sanded it and spray painted it, actually looked decent. The guy laughed his ass off but passed it hehe.

10. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

Before spend money with JC you might want to check with Raybuck (www.raybuck.com). I believe they're out of PA. The were slightly cheaper and closer than LMC (another fender supplier). I didn't compare with JC Whitney 'cause I never liked there shipping charges.

I've already replaced the rear floor pan - squeezed the dealer for $400. The drivers floor and both rockers came from LMC, they're next to install. Can't understand why no one makes the corners behind the front seats, just before the rear pan. I had to fabricate these.

Real trucks don't have spark plugs!

11. Mr Red

Mr Red 1/2 ton status

I just discovered these guys: www.classicindustries.com. Haven't bought anything but downloaded &amp; ordered a catalog. They've got it all! The prices on carpet from Auto Custom Carpets is even cheaper than direct from ACC!

<font color=red>David, '86 &amp; '91 K5</font color=red>
    Forever missing Dale Earnhardt, who drove over more Fords than we could ever dream of