Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

FAILED SMOG....DAMN>.UPDATE.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bigblue, Dec 5, 2001.

1. bigblue

bigblue 1/2 ton status

I failed smog this morning. I am bitter. I do know that I probably need a new catalatic converter butI also failed the Check Engine Light.
    --

--

OK well I drove into the Autozone Parking lot last night and .... took out the light, put it back in and WALA...it works now. No money spent on the diagnostic the shop owner was pushing me to pay 60- bucks for! and he was trying to talk me into spending 350 bucks for a new catalytic converter!

negative...

Now off to the smog facility...wish me luck

Surfing is Life...<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by bigblue on 12/06/01 12:19 PM.</FONT></P>

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Re: FAILED SMOG....DAMN>..

Is your Check Engine light on all the time? That will be an instant fail. In Colorado, they also check to make sure that the Check Engine light comes on during the self test when you start the engine. If it doesn't, you fail. [​IMG] That could just be a burned out bulb, a 79-cent fix. [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...

3. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

Was the "Check Engine" light on? I thought that was the only way they checked it...it passed as long as it wasn't lit up...but I'm not entirely sure. I fail my smog test the first time so I ran Bad Bow Tie on the interstate for like 10 miles and drove like a mad man around town. When I got to the facility, I idled it pretty hard until it was my turn. Doing this cut my HC numbers nearly in half compared to my first test...Also, make sure your thermostat is a hot one(at LEAST 185 degrees). A 195 degree would be ideal to keep the engine nice and hot... I've also hear of putting rubbing alcohol in the tank (I believe like 1 Liter per 15 gallons of gas) but I have never tried it... Good luck...

Chris

<font color=red>1987 Blazer K5, 4" Rancho Lift, 33" BFG AT, Dual Battery setup, AND MORE TO COME [​IMG]
    Was that a speed bump? No, just a Rice Rocket </font color=red>

4. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

Hey HarryH3, where in CO do you live? When I did mine up here in Fort Collins, then never checked to see if it came on during the self test on startup...I am the one who drove it into the bay for the test... oh well, probably would've passed anyhow...

Chris

<font color=red>1987 Blazer K5, 4" Rancho Lift, 33" BFG AT, Dual Battery setup, AND MORE TO COME [​IMG]
    Was that a speed bump? No, just a Rice Rocket </font color=red>

5. californiak5

californiak5 1/2 ton status

That really sucks bro. I am going to be of no help to you since I drive a 1970 that needs no smoging. [​IMG]

Good to see you back on the boards, it's been a while. Good luck with the Cali. emissions SH&amp;#. I hope someone here can help with that light problem.

See Ya,
    Keith

<font color=green>Born to Drive My K5</font color=green>

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/californiak5>CaliforniaK5's Pictures</a>

6. HarryH3

Hi Chris, I'm down in Colorado Springs. They're supposed to check the light, but I'm sure it may sometimes get overlooked... [​IMG]

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>

7. bigblue

bigblue 1/2 ton status

No the light doesn't go on at all...

Surfing is Life...

8. bigblue

bigblue 1/2 ton status

Yeah it has been a while...7 day work weeks suck! But finally catching up..on my money issues. This just is a pain in my ass....But I gues the high-flow cat is in order. I will check the bulb tonight....

Surfing is Life...

9. HarryH3

That's why it failed. Probably just a burned out bulb. It should come on for a couple of seconds when the engine is first started.

10. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Replace the bulb, then unhooked the battery for about ten seconds, then hook it back up, this will clear all the codes. Of course if there is a problem, then you will have to get that fixed. Did they tell you anything else that was wrong? High HC numbers? Do some of the things that have already been mentioned, make sure you take it in warmed up, this will drop HC numbers. Change the oil. I go to a shop where I know the guy. Yes, he does everything by the book, but if there's a problem, he will tell me. Did your gas cap pass?

Bubba Ray Boudreaux,
    Official Colorado K5.com Fantasy Football Choke Artist!<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/mdntrdr1>http://community.webshots.com/user/mdntrdr1</a>

11. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

that, ladies and gentleman, is why i waited for a 49 state K5[​IMG]

smog me no likie!

-zakk

'77 1-Ton K5

[​IMG] CK5's MOAB 2002 OR BUST!! [​IMG]

12. bigblue

bigblue 1/2 ton status

I just brought it to another guy and he told me that by the numbers bigblue put out he could pass it. As far as the light goes I am going to look into it tonight. Hoefully it is the bulb.

Surfing is Life...

13. bigblue

bigblue 1/2 ton status

I just brought it to another guy and he told me that by the numbers bigblue put out he could pass it. As far as the light goes I am going to look into it tonight. Hoefully it is the bulb.

Surfing is Life...

14. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Ya, I failed the E tests last time I went because my gas cap. That was a total pain in the ass. I had to get a new gas cap and then retake the WHOLE E test. I asked the guy if I could just go by another cap and bring it back for a test and be done, he said no. Even though I passed the tailpipe tests. I was pissed.

My Chevy isn't broken, its just out of gas.

15. DUKE

DUKE 1/2 ton status

You guys are in the wrong part of colorado area, no test down in durango co.

DUKE
    Girls Like My V8
    <a target="_blank" href=http://bluechevyk5.8k.com/>http://bluechevyk5.8k.com/</a>
    85 K5 <font color=blue>Big Blue</font color=blue>

16. Slayer

Slayer 1/2 ton status

Eastern Colorado, jokingly referred to as Western

Ah yes, that is precisely why I waited for a '77 no catalytic converter HD K5. I still have to pass emissions testing (that in itself is some real tuning fun, especially with a crate stroker motor running a Holley 750 4-barrel), but the allowable precentages are MUCH higher. You might ask the local 4by or hot rod shops for a "friendly" emissions checking station.

<font color=blue>I don't know everything, I just think that I do.............</font color=blue>[​IMG]

17. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

My cap failed too. The guy found a new cap for me in the shop and put it on.

Bubba Ray Boudreaux,
    Official Colorado K5.com Fantasy Football Choke Artist!<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/mdntrdr1>http://community.webshots.com/user/mdntrdr1</a>

18. bigblue

bigblue 1/2 ton status

ttt

Surfing is Life...