Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fair Price? D60,14FF,Np205....Help Im buyin a Truck!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by badbowtie03, Sep 2, 2004.

1. badbowtie03

badbowtie03 Registered Member

I found a 1980 Blazer the thing was recently painted white.. some rust around the bottom of the fenders.. old interior.. Lights work..electric rear window...basically an old blazer... Now heres the good stuff. It has a mild 350 and its in front of a TH350 tranny. Shifts Good..NP 205 Transfer case, the guy just had a New Dana 60 with 70 outers put under the front and it has a 14B FF out back. Both axles have 4.56 gears and lockers.. The thing has tons of lift on it. 12" Suspension and 3" Body. It has Brand New 44" SS TSL's and Mickey Thompson Classic.. He's askin $4500. I had another post on here and I am convinced that I dont think all the lift is great.. Im thinkin if I get it I would drop it down to a 6in lift and leave the body lift.. And put 38's on it.. How hard would it be to sell Huge nice 44's and maybe some big lift springs so I could buy the other parts to make it smaller. I have a Honda Accord that the guys friend is goin to buy if he likes it and we would work out sort of like a trade or swap of money between us.. My car private party is worth 4800 and 6200 retail.. Whats Fair? Should I do a flat swap or him give me a little money.. Im askin 6 grand for my car.. Is the Blazer a good deal? Anything I should look for? He said it has a CV driveshaft in the front just to let yall know but it needs to be shortened b/c its a little too long for the 60.... Any comments?? THANKS ALOT..
    P.S. Im goin to look at it tommorrow.. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I would say that it is most likely a beat up hack job if it is that big, and although the sum of the parts exceeds $4500, I probably wouldn't buy it.

Just so you know, 6+3 is still too much lift.

3. djsblaze

djsblaze 1/2 ton status

I'd pass, but mainly because I always presume the previous owner has flogged the hell out of a BIG truck like that. If you want to lower it anyhow, with new tires, I'd keep looking...but, its your call, weve all bought things we werent sure of before, trial and error. Just remember, even if it turns out to be a stinker, youve still got K5 to work with...good luck

4. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

For what? I ran Upper Hell and Pritchet with that combo.

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

For what? I ran Upper Hell and Pritchet with that combo.

[/ QUOTE ]

I rolled my truck over on a relatively level (compared to what I've been doing recently) surface with that combo.

There is no reason for a trail rig to be that tall.

6. Sandman

Maybe its not a trail rig. Maybe its for mud. Or show. Tall lifts do have their applications.

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Maybe its not a trail rig. Maybe its for mud. Or show. Tall lifts do have their applications.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Sounds like he wants to beat on it though. I'd keep the 6+3 if I was going to run those brand new 44" TSLs. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. badbowtie03

You see the thing is.. Most of all the K5's ive looked for all over the state are ---&gt; $2500-all the way up to $5500 for a stock one... and most decent nicer ones with a little lift are about $4000-$7000. And all of those are all completely stock other than a lift and tires. And this big one has a BRAND NEW Dana 60 in the front with big disc brakes , the 14FF out back..all with lockers and 4.56 gears so for me it sounds like such a better deal than a stock axle'd K5???? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif And yes hes even told me he does take it in the mud but isnt that what its for? Something that Is built this good and when I go look at it tommorrow if it is in decent shape the 4x4 works good then Im definetly goin for it.. B/c I almost know for a fact I would never have that kind of money to buy a K5 and then regear and put new axles front and rear, so it just makes more sense to me.. Anyone else agree?

9. badbowtie03

And for what Im gonna do.. "Mild Trail Rig" Not any huge crazy rocks around here... a 6" 3" combo would be great or maybe a 4" 3" combo? Who know I dont even have the truck yet... I just hope it runs good and drives decent b/c its got all the good strong parts for a nice start..

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

If you're buying a 6" lift anyway, I'd just take the body lift off. 6" is plenty.

11. Sandman

Drivelines would be a heck of a lot easier also. Maybe you could trade the 12" springs for 6" ones?

12. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Good luck. See how it drives. If this is to be your daily driver, then be very careful. If this is a second vehicle, then go for it.

Everyone of us on here have ongoing projects with our rigs, you might as well too. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

13. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    I rolled my truck over on a relatively level (compared to what I've been doing recently) surface with that combo.

[/ QUOTE ]

hello "operator error"...

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

plenty of rigs that sit taller than 6+3 and get beat to chit and have no roll-over issues.

j

14. badbowtie03

Hey.. No it would not be my daily driver... I also have a 01 SS camaro and a 68 chevelle. The camaro and blazer would be split up as my daily driver... Anyways.. yeah im pretty excited.. I just hope everything turns out alright when i go to see it.. Or that the guy really wants my honda b/c were tradin...if he doesnt want it then there is no way I could get it... Untill i sold my car..Anyways wish me luck

15. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

hello "operator error"...

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

plenty of rigs that sit taller than 6+3 and get beat to chit and have no roll-over issues.

j

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually it's more like, "Hello wheel travel".

If I'd had some more flex I would have been fine I think....but either way, I'm glad I brought it down lower, 9" of lift is just too much.

16. badbowtie03

Yeah that blazer was definetly a no go... The Body was really bad and the interior was even worse... The drivetrain had good components but the rear had factory springs with like 15" Blocks /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif to fit those 44" meats... It really seemed like a hack job like someone else said earlier... I guess Ill look for a decent one thats closer to stock and do the work myself... Anyway thanks for the replies!