Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

fair price for a used 10 bolt rear, 1990 K1500 Sub?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Foy, Feb 10, 2004.

1. Foy

Foy Registered Member

Guys-
    The 1990 Sub, stock, is making a fierce gear whine from the rear. We're going to pull the cover on Saturday and see what comes out, but we're already thinking about what to do if we've got gear or bearing problems. The 10 bolt in it is the original with 186,000 miles, and we're thinking maybe it's best to just try and find a used 10 bolt and swap the whole thing out.

The truck is a stock K1500 4x4, daily driver, little or no towing to be done, and wheeling only in rare snowstorms and a little beachrunning during surfing season. In other words, a hero replacement axle isn't what we're interested in.

Any ideas of what to expect on price in NC?

Thanks for any input,

Cooper

2. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Do you know what ratio? I think somewhere between 50-200 bucks.

John

3. Foy

Foy Registered Member

John-
    Pretty sure it's a 3.42. Will "count teeth" and see for sure on Sat. Obviously need to know so we match up with the front axle.

Coop

4. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

3.42 are usually easy to find. I say usually /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif I would think $150 would be the number to shoot for.

John

5. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Well, I'm selling mine for $75. (It's the exact same thing you're looking for: 1990 K1500 Suburban, 3.42's, open).

I would guess that you might spend twice that at a junkyard. I personally wouldn't pay more than $150 for one.

6. woody9

woody9 1/2 ton status

a few years back I was hunting one of those for my 91.. 3:42/Posi.. and i wanted something dependable..(rebuilt) /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif, new in area and didn't know the local repair shops.. and started to call around.. within 20 miles.. then 50 miles /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif.. then 100 miles /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif and NOBODY had one!!! (the shop told me none were to be had in the bone yards)...
    Finally located a complete rebuild unit, 1 year guar, but the price was SKY-HIGH... OVER THE COUNTER....... and clear across the state!
    Needless to say, that single axle was MORE /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif than the complete 3/4 axle swap.... including the new rims/tires.. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

Shop around! Be open to the 3/4 upgrade!
    /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

7. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

There aren't any decent ones around cuz they're all blown up /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

The wrecking yard I worked at would get *MINIMUM* $1000 CDN (on exchange, less brakes) for any 88-up GM truck/van rear end. Of course they were all checked out and anything iffy was replaced, and guaranteed for 6 months. 6-lug or van 10-bolts and anything dually were in highest demand and fetched the most $$$$, whereas a 14SF or 14FF SRW would be on the cheaper end of things. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

8. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

If it turns out you need 3.08, let me know. I can give you a great price on a full working unit.