Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Faith restored in GM

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Thunder, Nov 11, 2003.

1. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Anyone seen the new 2004 GTOs ?
    350 hp 350 ci(5.7L) Vette engine
    6 speed trans
    RWD
    0-60 in 5.3
    13.6 thru the 1/4
    Killer sound system
    $33,000 starting price
    I think they are being imported from Australia (Monaros)
    Soon to be coming out with the 400 hp L06 .
    Yeah baby /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    When GM dropped Camaros and Birds it pissed me off so bad I went out and bought a Mustang. I thought GM had abandoned mid priced RWD performance cars.
    Its great to see GM has something now that can give the Mustang a little competition /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

looks like a mustang... /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

3. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

wait- when you say Vette engine, you mean LS1 or LS6? the LS1 and LS6 i though were both 346ci.

yeah, it used to be a Monaro, but i LIKE what GM did to it!

4. BowtieRed

ok, it's an LS1. it's go true duals, but it comes out as two pipes on the passenger side. it has independent rear suspension- so it's not really a true muscle car, IMO. i like it though!

5. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

OK 346 I dont want to quibble over a few CIs /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    Might have to tell my wife its time to trade in her Monte Carlo SS. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

6. BowtieRed

[ QUOTE ]
    OK 346 I dont want to quibble over a few CIs /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    Might have to tell my wife its time to trade in her Monte Carlo SS. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

might? lol. . . do it NOW!

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    it has independent rear suspension- so it's not really a true muscle car, IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see how that makes a difference? Many high performance cars had and still have IRS...

I'd love a new GTO! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Rene

8. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

Kind of plain if you ask me. Maybe good for a sleeper car though. Looks like a cross between a Mustang and a Honda with a Pontiac grill. I actually like the looks of the Monte Carlo. Some mods to the Monte Carlo with a better engine would've been my preference.

9. MEPR

MEPR 1/2 ton status

IRS dont make it not a muscle car. That just means it can smoke the ricers in the twisties too /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

10. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

Its basically a grand prix with an LS-1
    Similar to the Australian Hobron (sp?)
    You would have thought they could have done better with the body style to look like a GTO not a grand prix /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

During an interview with GM, the question was asked why it looks like they took a Grand Prix and put an LS-1 in it. It doesnt look like a GTO. Their response was, once people feel the power, they will forget how it looks /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif What a bunch of idiots.

The GTO has pissed off alot of faithful GM people.
    In fact, on the GTO page, they actually had a Mustang in protest against GM. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

They need to get creative again. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

11. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

they are nice but dont do nothin speacial for me..and i think they are to short in the back..it looks like the rear end was chopped of it.. probobly be a blast to drive though..i just wish they would come out with a car that was more bigger and boxier like the old ones!

12. BowtieRed

i want another BIG BLOCK CAR!

13. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

i really like the specs... but how can that japanese sedan styling compare with...

[​IMG]

no contest imo,

afa IRS goes and "muscle car status"... i agree... gimme the 440 6pack challenger with the Dana60 rear. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

j

14. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Hmmmmm....... lets see
    1969 Chalenger 440 6 pack = 390 Hp 490 ft lbs torque Thats measured at the fly wheel So lop off 60+ hp for drive train loss and around 70 lbs of torque and you are looking at
    340 hp 420 torque. I am being conservitive in these numbers.
    Yes they did go fast unfortunlatly they did not like to stop. Handling was not a strong point either.

The new GTO when equipped with the 400 hp LS6 engine
    405 hp to the ground
    400 ft lbs torque to the ground
    The 2004 GTO is a way lighter car.
    Unlike a "muscle car of the 60s it can go around a corner. And stop on a dime.
    And I am sure it could blow the doors off a stock 69 440 6 pack Charger.
    I grew up in the "muscle car era" and I'll tell ya that they aren't all they are cracked up to be. Yes they do have the "Cool factor" But Most of them dont handle for s#@*. , Most stock muscle cars ran in the 14s, (Ok the 302 Z28, and the 429 hemi Cudas and a few others were rocket ships) but for the most part all you got was an engine and 4 wheels.

The new muscle cars have everything.Looks, Air conditioning, cruise, 4 wheel disc brakes, airbags /safety killer sounds, comfort,and Are Quiet
    Can get you thru the 1/4 in the mid 12s. And dont scare the crap out of you at speeds over 120 mph.

Jees how can you complain about that.
    Put a supercharger one one and you are looking at a monster.
    .......And for those of you who want a big boxy muscle car check out one of these 450 hp beasts
    [​IMG]
    I may be old but I dont live in the past. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

15. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

who said anything about the challenger being stock? Im talkin nitrous + super charger = 1200 hp here. stock. pfffft. get that chit outta here.

at any rate, none of the numbers changes the fact that the new gto looks like a 5 year old japanese sedan.

j

16. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

When GM builds a V8 rear drive sedan in Detroit again then I'll faith in GM again. To bad it would probably be a poorly built car though. On the other hand if You do want a quality V8 powered rear drive car just buy a BMW. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

17. BowtieRed

ok, how about the LS6 Chevelle /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif thaty'll have to fall in the rocket ship category /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

GM i supposed to have the return of the F-body in 2005 or 6 so let's not lose faith too quick. From what I've heard they will have an LS6 or LS7 option /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

I just want to be around for another BIG BLOCK CAR! why no more?! Seriously, just one, just one!!!! Other than the 69 ZL1 Camaros in 02 there aren't ANY!!! (V10s don't count. . . especially when they aren't any faster than a small block V8) I want a big block camaro. . or a Chevelle return!!!!! YES! Let's all petition GM to make another Chevelle.

18. dysphemism

dysphemism 1/2 ton status

I can't see that pile selling better than camaro's did. Sure it's fast, but it looks like crap. If I see a badge on one of those things that says "the judge" I'm going to laugh my ass off. Why didn't they just put an ls6 in a metro?

19. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

Heres some available Aussie Holdens which are basically GM's: BTW, the new GTO is the production Aussie Monaro.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Heck, if they stuck a LS1 in the SS Concept and marketed it, they would have a big seller.
    [​IMG]

20. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    And dont scare the crap out of you at speeds over 120 mph.

[/ QUOTE ]

I second that!

[​IMG]

Shaaaawing!!!! Gimme Gimme Gimme...