Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fallen Astronaut

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by hammermachine, Mar 7, 2007.

1. hammermachine

hammermachine 1/2 ton status

Aug 23, 2005
    NASA fires astronaut Lisa Nowak

By MIKE SCHNEIDER, Associated Press Writer 4 minutes ago

Astronaut Lisa Nowak was fired from NASA on Wednesday, a month after she was charged with trying to kidnap a woman she regarded as her romantic rival for the affections of a space shuttle pilot. NASA officials said Nowak's dismissal did not reflect the space agency's belief in her guilt or innocence. The agency said it lacked an administrative system to handle the allegations because Nowak is a naval officer on assignment to NASA, rather than a NASA civil servant.
    If Nowak were a civil servant, NASA would have the choice of placing her on administrative leave, leave without pay or indefinite suspension until the charges are resolved, said NASA spokesman James Hartsfield in Houston. But because she is an officer, those options are not available.
    Nowak, a captain in the Navy, instead will return to the military.
    Chief astronaut Steve Lindsey notified Nowak late last month that she was to be fired from the astronaut corps.
    Her dimissal marked the first time NASA has publicly fired an astronaut, according to space historian Roger Launius of the Smithsonian Institution. She is also the first active astronaut to be charged with a felony, he said.
    Nowak, a mother of three, is accused of confronting the woman at the Orlando airport after driving from Houston while wearing an astronaut diaper so that she would not have to stop.
    She allegedly pepper-sprayed the woman through a partially lowered car window. In Nowak's vehicle, police found a BB gun, new steel mallet, a knife and rubber tubing.
    The woman was the girlfriend of another astronaut, Bill Oefelein, who previously had a romantic relationship with Nowak.
    Nowak, 43, pleaded not guilty to attempted kidnapping and burglary with assault. She was released on bail wearing a monitoring device on her ankle.

Wow her career has just come to a full stop. I kinda feel sorry for her. He must have given her some good loving.
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2007
  2. CDA 455

CDA 455 3/4 ton status

Jun 2, 2006
    Why do I hear the sound effects from the bathroom scene in 'Psycho' as I read the article!!
  3. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

Nov 13, 2003
    It's sad when people are dominated by their emotions..On the other hand, she can be a spokesperson for pampers maybe..

I can see it now " I drove a thousand miles, and look! no wetness!
  4. nc87k5

nc87k5 3/4 ton status

Sep 23, 2003

:haha: :haha: :haha: