Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

False floor and Center Console ideas.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by colbystephens, Nov 14, 2005.

1. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I'm going to be writing up some plans in auto cad in the next couple weeks for building a locking false floor for the cargo space in my k5 which will encase a full tool set and a locking center console which will encase a cd player. anyone have any suggestions, cautions, etc.? So far i've thought of using deadbolts to secure these compartments. That way when the roof is off, valuable items will be secure. I'm thinking to mount the cd player vertically - perp. to the ground inside the center console to save space and make for easy access. Also was thinking that inside this console would be a good place for a switch which must be positioned in the "on" position to start the vehicle. This way that switch would not only be hidden, but under a deadbolt. what do you all think?

2. guido666

guido666 1/2 ton status

Sounds very cool. I can't wait to see this.

A good place to start may be to use military ammo cans. I like to use these because they are strong, watertight, and made of steel so you can weld to them. It might not be quite as custom, but it would be far more inexpensive.

Deadbolts may be excessive, and not up to the dust/dirt. Have you seen any of the Tuffy products? They use a fairly small latch but it is secure. You don't really have to do too heavy duty because you only need to make it as strong as the enclosure.

3. colbystephens

i've thought about the ammo cans, but i'm not sure of the dimensions of those containers. That was actually something I was going to look into. I'm trying to keep my center console similar in dimensions to the stock type.

I'll have to look at other ideas for locks. you make an intersting point with the dirt and deadbolts. Maybe I can get a rubber cap made which would fit over teh deadbolt. That would give it a pretty sweet look too - maybe if the box were painted black and the cap were red or something. i don't know. it's fun to play with ideas like this.

colby

4. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

I made a false floor. I also made a locking box the goes up over the fender on one side. I have the false floor tied into that on one side, and I made a vertical support on the other.

I was going to make the floor locking, but I just screwed it down with D&T's instead. I'll only access the stuff when the tailgate is open, and if really need to get it I can remove the D&T's. I figure that's more trouble than most theives will want to take.

Eventually I'll make my own console.

I did find that most CD decks will not work vertically.

5. ncgamedog

ncgamedog 1/2 ton status

how about a cutout for a power outlet? and cb mount off the front? two things i would love in a center console ( and the cd player) you could run all the wires under the tunnel cover.

6. colbystephens

i wondered about the cd deck working vertically. that's the only way i can envision being able to see the display on the deck if it were in the center console. any other ideas for putting a deck in the center console with the criteria being having the display visible and the deck can still work?

7. colbystephens

i'm going to have my floor hinged so that i can strap my tools into an organized set up - rather than just have it open toward the tail gate, thus i want to have it locked b/c i don't want to have to deal with unbolting the floor. :)

8. colbystephens

i'm leaving the space by the wheel wells avail for small tanks for diesel as i'm going to convert to bio diesel. (50 to 70 cents per gall on sounds pretty good to me!) i'll start the truck on reg. diesel, run a heater down to my fuel tank where my veggie oil will be stored and decoagulate the veggie oil, then when the tank heats up i'll switch over to veggie oil. :) otherwise, it would be cool to have more locked storage behind the wheel wells. i guess it is storage - fuel storage.

colby

9. mrk5

That is why I kept one side open. That is where I keep my catch bucket and spill cleanup stuff. I'm thinking about ditching the carrier for the water can on the tire carrier, and keeping it there next to the false floor also.

And actually I kept the area under the box open. The bottom of the box is on top of the fender. I call it my "Shaft Box", because there is where I keep the spare axle and drive shafts.

I was going to make it hinge and lock and all that, but I go impatient and wanted to get it done before Blazer Bash this year. I'm pretty happy with it.

10. colbystephens

i can certainly appreciate just wanting to be done w/ a project. i've been working on my truck since march and i won't have it back on the road till after february. :( i've only driven it twice (before it went under construction) and i'm pretty stoked to get it going. I want to get the motor back from the machine shop, drop it in, break it it and hit the trails. :)

colby

11. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Youv'e got me all curious now.
    Post up some pics!!!:D

12. colbystephens

i don't have any pics yet b/c nothing is made. however, i'll try and post up my design when i get that built on auto cad. :)

13. Robert D

Robert D 1/2 ton status

I have a pair of 6x9 boxes with kenwood speakers from the Porsche. I'd like to mount them in the truck, but I'm not sure how to do it without them being stolen when I take the top off. My thoughts are to buy ammo boxes and bolt them to the floor, then put the speaker boxes inside of the ammo boxes with locks. If I drill holes in the sides of the ammo box like a grate it might sound alright...or I could replace a section of the side with actual grating material...possibilities :)

14. guido666

guido666 1/2 ton status

There are ammo cans available, reffered to commonly as "Wide 50" .50 Cal, that will fit 6"x9" speakers. Just make a mounting plate in it, snap the lid on and lock them. I know because I've been working on them myself. :D

I bought some from http://www.cheaperthandirt.com but I see they don't have them listed right now.

15. Robert D

Robert D 1/2 ton status

Thanks! So you are mounting speakers directly to the ammo cans? I have these nice wooden/carpeted boxes I bought off ebay a while back for ~25. I'd like to make use of them, but they aren't going to last with rain, thiefs, etc.

16. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

I have a floor attached to my roll cage. Locks on top, locking and unlocked hinge pins underneath.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. mrk5

Now that looks good. :waytogo:

18. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

That is the nicest execution of that idea I have seen.

19. SoldierFixer

SoldierFixer Registered Member

That is one very clean setup. I like the Army medical supply chest for storage, too. Strong, lightweight (aluminum), sorta-kinda waterproof, very dustproof (the ones I have on top of my truck out here haven't let in a bit of Iraq dust, which normally gets into everything).

20. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Thanks guys. A lot of thought and help from CK5ers went into the design.

The medical supply chest is secured to the floor with plates underneath to spread force. The rest of the deck is secured to ensure that nothing comes loose or breaks thru the deck pieces in a rollover and also makes everything pretty hard to steal. Still have some things to do to ensure security. Should be done before Christmas.